Plethora of Puzzle Caches leading to Micros

Barnie's Band of Gold

Perhaps I spoke a little bit out of context. When I was talking about some hides that are created to challenge others, it was not to suggest that everyone is out trying to make 'the impossible cache' and getting some kind of satisfaction from the repeated notifications of DNF or notes about how it is too difficult or whatever.

There is definitely a small percentage of cachers that take things too far, either difficulty or terrain. Usually it is difficulty though, and that can be for many different reasons.

Let's put things in proper perspective, at least how I see it. <_<

Geocaching.com is akin to a Library of Caches. And in that there are many classifications of caches. No one that I know goes to the library and simply grabs a book at random. Instead you look for a theme, maybe an author you like, or something on a specific topic... doesn't matter... you do some form of research before signing the book out. You still might not like the book, but that's not the point either.

Geocaching.com has all of the resources you need to sift through and find cache pages that might suit your desires at any given time.

The feature that I would like to see is an optional "Distance from Suggested Parking". It could work in two ways. Either the site calculates the as the crow flies distance from the posted coordinates to the additional waypoint for parking if provided or it provides a field for the person that places the cache to enter it manually. But the 'significant hike' icon does that too, like res2100 said.

Res made many good points, although I don't share all of his opinions I certainly understand his interpretation of the data. But the main point that res made is bang on the mark. Northern Penguin gets it too. We don't always want this or that specifically and exclusively.

Here in Geocaching.com we have choices and options. We are lucky to be able to have such variety and be able to select what we like.

The Geoching.com site and functionality is basically (painting with a big brush here) 7 years old and to be totally honest, the Waymarking.com is far better 'feature-enabled' to narrow down for specifics. Maybe someday Geocaching.com will also be capable of these features, like filtering out listings based on certain criteria but until that day, you're going to have to do it yourself.

I can say that my opinion has gone full circle on the regular/traditionals over the past two years. After about 20 regular size traditional finds I got very tired of them and focused on other types (in my finds and hides). I find myself longing for those regular/traditional caches again. BBoG, my next cache placement will be a traditional in an ammo can.

As for puzzles, I like them. I can totally understand why many people don't like them, and sometimes wonder how caching and puzzles are even related, however I am glad puzzle caches exist. Selfishly I'd suggest just ignoring them if you don't like them.

Now can we get back to the real issue of boring out the side of a tree with a drill... ;)

Seriously though, why does Tequila keep posting blank replys?

Let's put things in proper perspective, at least how I see it. :anibad:

Geocaching.com is akin to a Library of Caches. And in that there are many classifications of caches. No one that I know goes to the library and simply grabs a book at random. Instead you look for a theme, maybe an author you like, or something on a specific topic... doesn't matter... you do some form of research before signing the book out. You still might not like the book, but that's not the point either.

Just had to mention that this is an excellent point, BQ.

Well BBoG, I know that I may be one of the "newbies" that you spoke of, but I hope you have enjoyed finding some of the caches that I have lovingly placed for you! :D I understand your feelings about a micro hidden far into the woods with serious ground cover! I too abhor those and won't go do them if I can help it. That being said, I have to agree with Northernpenguin because I enjoy placing caches for people to find and consider it my way of contributing or "giving back" to the game that I enjoy so much! As for the puzzle caches with errors... my bad! I know that I have had at least two problems but they were quickly rectified and they weren't too glaring - unless you consider the one where I published the WRONG puzzle! (oops! my bad again!) I try to make my puzzles solvable and they usually don't end in a micro. I generally can't get out to the really nice hiking spots because finding, placing and maintaining caches usually involve me bringing a whiny 3-year-old with me... hence, my caches are generally easier and aren't too difficult to get to. That now being said, I have tried to add a little difficulty by using some puzzles. I figure that if I can't make the terrain harder or the walk longer, I'll make folks work just a tad bit harder to find the proper coordinates. I also despise those really HARD puzzle caches that I can't make heads or tails of. I will either ask for a hint or spend hours looking at them with crossed eyes if I really want to find them. Otherwise, I just don't go. Too bad for me because most of them seem to have some great logs.

Anyway, just my two cents worth...

Your pal,

Cowboneneck :(

Hi Cowboneneck,

I didn't have anyone specific in mind when I made the original post. My observation however is that this is largely a newbie phenomenon - and the complex puzzles come from a desire to make a big splash. Others have said that the micro in lousy spots is because all the good spots are gone - whatever!

Like many I'm just looking for a good excuse to get out and staring at a computer screen any longer than I have to is not part of my ideal caching experience.

Hope you weren't offended. :ph34r: