State Maps

Trees

What happened to the State Maps showing the locations of all the caches within a state? One day it was there, the next time I looked for it, it was gone? I use it when I go to another state or even in my own state when I want to check out an area I will be in that isnt near a listed city. When going out to a new area or in the boonies, its nice to be able to click on an area and see whats there.

They were removed in favor of the new Geocaching.com Google maps. If you try them I am sure you will see they are far more functional. The old ones were a first generation solution and are no longer viable and have been a source of issues in the last couple of years (hard to update, seeing caches you found as red check marks was removed, etc.).

Try clicking here for a map of Indianapolis for example. Being a Premium Member (and thanks for being a Charter Member to boot :) ), you also have additional features with those maps.

I hope you like them. I think they rock.

(Clarified my post a bit.)

Edited by mtn-man

I would love to know an easy way to look for caches in a rural area in my state now that the state maps are gone. I cant just click on a spot on my state map like I used to. I havent been able to figure out a quick way to access such caches without having to find a zip code or some such way of using advance search. If there is an easier way, I wish someone would enlighten me.

I would love to know an easy way to look for caches in a rural area in my state now that the state maps are gone. I cant just click on a spot on my state map like I used to. I havent been able to figure out a quick way to access such caches without having to find a zip code or some such way of using advance search. If there is an easier way, I wish someone would enlighten me.

Using your location under your name, I typed in "sonoran desert, az" in the "Zoom To Address" box. It gave me the following map centered on the city of Oro Valley, AZ. Is this the right area for "sonoran desert, az"?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/gmnearest.a...;zm=12&mt=m

You can click, hold and drag the map all around zooming in an out (you do have to wait for caches to load, which is still very cool to me). I typed in "blood mountain, ga" and hit "go" and it took me right there. I clicked the topo map and I was right on target. Same thing with the city in TN I was just working in.