Magellen 500LE USB cable

KismetKat

I ordered the AC power adapter and USB cable as a package deal from Magellan a while ago. I have never used the software, but now that I am into Geocaching I thought I would set it all up.

The USB will plug into my USB port and charge the GPS, so I'm thinking the cable is fine.

The problem is when I go to do any transferring I cannot. My computer does not recognize that the USB is connected. It says that the USB has malfunctioned and to replace it.

I run Windows XP. I noticed while installing the software that it had a USB install (and not sure if that is just for the charging of the unit). While installing, Windows didn't like it trying to install a modem. I uninstalled/reinstalled the software 3 times...each with the same problem. I am not sure if this caused a problem with the USB or not.

I am wondering if others have had this problem?....And is it the cable?.....Or is it the installation gone wrong?

You may need to use "Conversion Manager" to transfer maps and waypoints to the eXplorist depending on the version of MapSend you have. Older versions did not support direct transfers to the eXplorist. If you have MapSend Topo 3D USA v1.5, it will support more direct transfers with the eXplorist. Also if you download MapSend Lite Beta v2.00e it will also support direct transfers. Keep in mind you will need to have the eXplorist setup in USB file transfer mode and Internal Memory selected. Check out these links.

Explorist GPS FAQ's

GPSFaq's org

Exploristwiki

MapSend Lite Beta

Hi, along this line of thought, is any one having the same kind of trouble when using the new Windows VISTA? The Magellean Explorist 500 software appears to load ok. Upon connection, it says the GPS device is there. But, when you try to transfer either geocache info using the Mapsend Geocaching Manager, it says the GPS unit isn't there.

I talked to Magellean helpline today and they said to download a VISTA specific driver, but that didn't work either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks much!

Hi, along this line of thought, is any one having the same kind of trouble when using the new Windows VISTA? The Magellean Explorist 500 software appears to load ok. Upon connection, it says the GPS device is there. But, when you try to transfer either geocache info using the Mapsend Geocaching Manager, it says the GPS unit isn't there.

I talked to Magellean helpline today and they said to download a VISTA specific driver, but that didn't work either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks much!

Can you see the Explorist in windows explorer? It should appear as a disk drive. If so, you can just use the magellan conversion manger that came with the gps and then upload the converted files to the Explorist via windows explorer.