New Issue: Security Exception Report

Marmotte

Hi,

got a new error mesg accessing gc.com. Reproduceble in that way:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCYYCP

Using OS Win XP SP2; IE 6.0.2900.2180

Errortext:

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Security Exception 
Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy.  To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file. 

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Requested registry access is not allowed.

Source Error: 

The source code that generated this unhandled exception can only be shown when compiled in debug mode. To enable this, please follow one of the below steps, then request the URL:

1. Add a "Debug=true" directive at the top of the file that generated the error. Example:

<%@ Page Language="C#" Debug="true" %>

or:

2) Add the following section to the configuration file of your application:

<configuration>
  <system.web>
   <compilation debug="true"/>
  </system.web>
</configuration>

Note that this second technique will cause all files within a given application to be compiled in debug mode. The first technique will cause only that particular file to be compiled in debug mode.

Important: Running applications in debug mode does incur a memory/performance overhead. You should make sure that an application has debugging disabled before deploying into production scenario.  

Stack Trace: 

[SecurityException: Requested registry access is not allowed.]
  System.ThrowHelper.ThrowSecurityException(ExceptionResource resource) +48
  Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, Boolean writable) +2752377
  System.Diagnostics.EventLog.CreateEventSource(EventSourceCreationData sourceData) +360
  System.Diagnostics.EventLog.VerifyAndCreateSource(String sourceName, String currentMachineName) +212
  System.Diagnostics.EventLog.WriteEntry(String message, EventLogEntryType type, Int32 eventID, Int16 category, Byte[] rawData) +211
  System.Diagnostics.EventLog.WriteEntry(String source, String message, EventLogEntryType type, Int32 eventID, Int16 category, Byte[] rawData) +80
  System.Diagnostics.EventLog.WriteEntry(String source, String message, EventLogEntryType type) +14
  Geocaching.UI.GpxWptListControl.DisplayWaypoints() +687
  Geocaching.UI.cache_details.BuildCachePage() +6631
  Geocaching.UI.cache_details.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +57
  Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.LoginUser(User user, Boolean saveToken) +1492
  Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1072
[...]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.832; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.832 

In hope it can be fixed in near future.

Regards

Marmotte

Thanks for test.

Looks fine to me running Windows 2000Professional and using either Firefox/2.0.0.6 or opening it in

IE 6.0.2800

Hm, made nothing and clicked again, the error text changed from "Security Error" to "Runtime Error". Then I've entered www.geocaching.com, clicked my example again and it works. It seems not all of gc.com changes last week where successful.

These changes brought often very slow response times - or lets better say delivery times -, Google maps where more informative, by listing waypoint names, and of course daily error messages like above.

In my opinion, I would be more happy if Jeremy would fallback to last running configuration. :P