Magellam Maestro 3100 and Downloading Waypoints

The Roun's

Hello,

Newbie here. I am not sure how I can download the waypoints from the site to my magellan maetro 3100. does anyone have this GPS and would anyone be willing to assist me with instructions?

Thanks!

While I do not own that unit, I have researched the user manual and a couple of rating sites. It appears as though you cannot download nor enter waypoint info from the geocaching.com site. Nor does it appear as though you can enter gps coordinates.

Did the seller tell you that you could do that?

Let me know if you discover that this info is incorrect. You might try Magellan support as bad as it usually is, they ought to at least answer this basic question for you.

In my opinion, even units that are advertised as being suitable for both geocaching and car navigation....aren't. You'll probably be happier with separate units that are designed specifically for the intended use.

Good luck. :)

Edited by Team Cotati

I have a magellan Maestro 3140. If the 3100 comes with a CD install the CD. If the CD comes with Magellan PIO File Editor, then yes... You can enter Waypoints into the Maestro via the computer. GC.com shows the waypoints as Degrees, Decimal Minutes. POI File Editor requires this to be in Degrees Decimal. So, you have to some manual conversion. Additionally, POI File Editor can accept a download file of GPX format and create everything needed to export to the Magellan.

So, basically the answer is yes. Whether the 3100 is suited to geocaching I can say this. I have a Garmin Etrex Legend and the 3140. I will use the 3140 for geocaching LONG before I will even power up the Garmin. Garmin makes some other fine units, however. This is not one of them. LOL

I have a magellan Maestro 3140. If the 3100 comes with a CD install the CD. If the CD comes with Magellan PIO File Editor, then yes... You can enter Waypoints into the Maestro via the computer. GC.com shows the waypoints as Degrees, Decimal Minutes. POI File Editor requires this to be in Degrees Decimal. So, you have to some manual conversion. Additionally, POI File Editor can accept a download file of GPX format and create everything needed to export to the Magellan.

So, basically the answer is yes. Whether the 3100 is suited to geocaching I can say this. I have a Garmin Etrex Legend and the 3140. I will use the 3140 for geocaching LONG before I will even power up the Garmin. Garmin makes some other fine units, however. This is not one of them. LOL

Can you use GSAK on this unit to transfer POI's?

The new Vantage Point software says that it works with Maestro. To respond to posts #3 and 4, get your .gpx from this site, process/filter it in GSAK, create a .gpx or .gs file that is opened in Vantage Point, then send it to your Maestro.

I looked on the site and it lists all the handhelds for Vantage. Not seeing Maestro listed?