Newbie Here has question

MonsterRider

Hi all ~

I am very new to geocaching. I have found (11) caches so far in the last 2 weeks since I started. My question is............The cable that the gps came with does not fit into my computer or any of the 4 other computers I have tried. It came with a 9 pin female cable that hooks to the gps. The only port that I see on all the computers I have looked at are 9 pin males, but that is for the monitor. Is there a way of hooking up this cable to a computer? Am I able to download the notes and hints onto my gps if I do somehow find a way to get the cable to fit into the port? What will the download from the "Send to GPS" give me? Hope this all makes sense. TIA for your help!

gotchya, thank you so much. when I download from the geo site to my gps once I purchase it, what kind of info will it download? Everything, or just just basics. I am trying to figure out if it is worth downloading or if I should print out the information? I would like to have as much information about the cache as possible when I go out.

gotchya, thank you so much. when I download from the geo site to my gps once I purchase it, what kind of info will it download? Everything, or just just basics. I am trying to figure out if it is worth downloading or if I should print out the information? I would like to have as much information about the cache as possible when I go out.
If you become a premium member you can download 500 caches in one pocket query (you can get 5 PQs/day). Otherwise you can download 20 caches at a time using the nearest cache page search.

The basic legend can't really show you anything other than a 6 character name and the cache coords. Any addtional information will have to come with you another way.

You can manipulate the name via a program like Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) to code information like terrain and difficulty. But that is limited.

Best bet is to spend the $3 per month to be a premium member and run Pocket Queries which can give you a complete file of up to 500 caches filtered to your tastes at a time for downloading to your GPS. You can also get a used PDA from ebay for about $25 to load the file with all the details and carry it with you. Far cheaper than even one ink cartidge. Look into it.

The basic legend can't really show you anything other than a 6 character name and the cache coords. Any addtional information will have to come with you another way.

You can manipulate the name via a program like Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) to code information like terrain and difficulty. But that is limited.

Best bet is to spend the $3 per month to be a premium member and run Pocket Queries which can give you a complete file of up to 500 caches filtered to your tastes at a time for downloading to your GPS. You can also get a used PDA from ebay for about $25 to load the file with all the details and carry it with you. Far cheaper than even one ink cartidge. Look into it.

I have a palm pilot (I know old), but would that work for the PDA?

I have a palm pilot (I know old), but would that work for the PDA?

If it has at least 2 MB of available memory - it should be fine.