Garmin MapSource Updates

Paulguy

What are peoples experience with the updating of the actual maps in Garmin's MapSource?

For instance, if there's a new road, how long before it actually shows up on the mapping

software? Or does it ever show up at all?

Thanks,

Paul

If there's a particular road you're interested in, you can go here, choose City Navigator 2008 from the drop down, and see if it's on the map.

I just bought city navigator Australia V7, (2008 is coming out in a few weeks as a free update) it's about 18 months old and I was really surprised to find that it had a new overpass correctly mapped that was only finished about 18 months ago. Although I noticed on the back of the CD cover it said 'Revision D'.

I have tried to update my mapsource software every 6 months and I have not noticed any changes in the maps in my area. I'm wondering if I have to buy new software to actually get updated street level info.

Just updating the MapSource application doesn't do anything to give you new map data.

It's a bit confusing, because there's more than one thing called MapSource, but the MapSource PC application is just a program that comes with and allows you to work with the MapSource map data products (like the City Navigator, MetroGuide, and Topo product lines). You have to buy an updated product to get newer street data.

NeoGeo has been running a test, that he reports about on this forum, for his neighborhood. IIRC, it takes about 18 months from the time the road is built to get into the Navtech database and then released into Garmin maps.

Hmm. I've been requesting inclusion of the street I live on for years not and it's still not included...

On the other hand, changes to the US75/I35 interchange were included before they were even completed.

I purchased City Navigator NT vers. 8 in Feb 2007 and a friend of mine received City Navigator 2008 when she purchased her GPS in Sept. 2007. When we were caching in a rural part of the state, she had the correct/updated county road numbers and I did not. This created a small problem because we were going to meet at what I thought was CR 75, according to my GPS ,and it was now CR 3455.

We did get it figured out and I was eligible for the free update CD which I just downloaded tonight.