What PDA and What Program ?

I want to start paperless geocaching, and would like to purchase a cheapish PDA, what program would I require to be able to use just the PDA and so leave my Garmin GPSmap 60CS to my daughter to get her started. Im in the UK btw

I posted the above yesterday but didnt get any replies, so I take it that I cannot use a PDA on its own without my Garmin GPSmap 60CS?

Generally the PDA is just used to hold the cache details while the GPSr points you to the cache. There are some PDA's that take a GPSr module.

I've bought a couple of Palm M125 PDA's on ebay from $1 to $12, cheap enough that if one gets dropped/damaged in the field it's not too much heartbreak. I use CacheMate to hold the cache details on the PDA ($8), GSAK to filter/select the caches to load to PDA & GPSr ($25).

I want to start paperless geocaching, and would like to purchase a cheapish PDA, what program would I require to be able to use just the PDA and so leave my Garmin GPSmap 60CS to my daughter to get her started. Im in the UK btw

Go to and you can look at the PDA's there. You will need to get a GPSr module to insert in the PDA, so you want to make sure that the PDA has available GPSr modules. Then you need to get EasyGPS or GSAK along with Cachemate. Search for Mobipocket or Paperless to find more about these programs.

In the UK, if you're with O2 get an O2 Xda Orbit running Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0. (free if you are renewing a contract. T-mobile and Orange also have branded items. Insist on the Co-Pilot software.) It is in fact a branded ARTE200 PocketPC. Includes GPRS phone, texting, Internet Explorer, Outlook email, games, Word, Excel, Co-Pilot GPS, + everything else you would expect. I've mine set up to sync my my office email, calendar, etc. MY LIFE!!!

Paperless - EASY!! Join Geocaching as a Premium menber, use Pocket Queries to get your caches, download to your PDA. Spend $8 on CacheMate ( www.smittyware.com/ppc/cachemate/ ) includes CacheNav. After setup, load your caches. Select a cache which will give you all the cache info including hints and logs (no more paper). Click the compass icon, this starts the GPS with the cache Co-ordinates :( Distance, location, Compass, etc. All you have to do is find the cache.

Don't worry if it sounds difficult, I'm not far from my bus-pass!

Good luck.