Increasing frustration Mac+60CSx+USB

Fogtripper

Finally my Garmin 60CSx arrived today.

Webupdate does not see the GPS unless I smash the "try again" button multiple times quickly. If I do it fast enough, I have managed to get to downloading the update for the unit. download does it's thing, and then at the end it tells me it cannot communicate with the GPS.

Using webupdater with a PC the first time is not really an option unless I go out and buy a PC.

Decided to skip over webupdate and play around with Garmin Training Center. Guess what: not seeing the GPS.

I have done numerous web searches and beyond finding a PC to use, there are no options.

Powerbook G4, OSX 10.4.10

Is it pointless even contacting Garmin? I fear that their mac ignorance will simply lead to them telling me "sorry, buy a PC".

edit: Not surprisingly, a third party app "MacCaching works flawlessly and has no problem seeing my device.

<_<:P:):D:P:):D:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Edited by Fogtripper

That's interesting. I have used Web Updater on both a 60C and a 60Cx with no problems. I'm using a 20" flatscreen iMac with OS 10.4.10.

Are you using the latest version? I just ran it and it found a new version (of the web updater.) Downloaded and installed that, and it again immediately found my 60Cx. Do you have your GPS connected directly to the computer, or is it through a hub or something? I've found that sometimes an extension cable or a hub (even a powered one) can do funny things to USB devices. I had been using my 60C through both a hub and an extension cable. When I got my 60Cx, it likes to be connected directly to the computer. I think it's because the Cx (and Csx as well) draw power through the USB cable.

All that to say, I'm not entirely convinced the problem is with Garmin's software. As much as I love Macs, they're not perfect either. I give Garmin a lot of credit for making the effort to come out with Mac support for all their products. It's taken a lot longer than they originallly announced, but I don't see any other company even trying.

EDIT: I also had problems before my iBook died with some USB devices, even connected directly to the computer. I couldn't even use a USB compact flash reader--had to get a firewire device.

Edited by andylphoto

I recently downloaded Webupdater from Garmin (the Mac version from September 2007). It worked flawlessly with my Vista HCx via USB. I have a Mac PowerPC G5 running MacOS 10.4.10.

Other Garmin software has not worked for me (though I have not tried the web browser plug-in). I use MacCaching for everything else.

Here is a link to another recent thread (though I see you had posted in that thread already).

Edited by UncleJimbo

Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker and a 1st time poster. I just received my Etrex Legend Hcx today and went to the my garmin site to register it. It turns out that they just released a new version of WebUpdater for Mac. It is version 2.0.2 dated December 7 2007. I just used it to successfully update my gps to software version 2.40 and GPS SW to version 2.30. I'm glad to see at least some support for Mac. :ph34r:

Larry

WebUpdater For Mac software version 2.0.2 as of December 7, 2007

Notes:

Possible fixes for common issues:

> Web Updater doesn't detect my device

Older versions of some Garmin devices' software have an issue that prevents them from communicating with the Mac. If you are experiencing this problem, you may need to update your device's software to the latest version using WebUpdater on a PC. After this update, your device should be able to communicate with your Mac and be updated using WebUpdater on your Mac.

> Update hangs during 'Erasing' phase

This issue may be solved by directly plugging your device into your Mac instead of a USB Hub.

Source:http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3699

Edited by coggins

Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker and a 1st time poster. I just received my Etrex Legend Hcx today and went to the my garmin site to register it. It turns out that they just released a new version of WebUpdater for Mac. It is version 2.0.2 dated December 7 2007. I just used it to successfully update my gps to software version 2.40 and GPS SW to version 2.30. I'm glad to see at least some support for Mac. :ph34r:

Larry

Has anyone had problems installing WebUpdater for Mac version 2.0.2? On the "Installation Type" step I get a dialogue box saying "You cannot continue. There is nothing to install."

I've had version 2.0.1 installed and working for months. I'm running 10.4.11 on a 1GHz PowerPC G4. Even tried removing version 2.0.1 before the install and still won't work. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker and a 1st time poster. I just received my Etrex Legend Hcx today and went to the my garmin site to register it. It turns out that they just released a new version of WebUpdater for Mac. It is version 2.0.2 dated December 7 2007. I just used it to successfully update my gps to software version 2.40 and GPS SW to version 2.30. I'm glad to see at least some support for Mac. :)

Larry

Has anyone had problems installing WebUpdater for Mac version 2.0.2? On the "Installation Type" step I get a dialogue box saying "You cannot continue. There is nothing to install."

I've had version 2.0.1 installed and working for months. I'm running 10.4.11 on a 1GHz PowerPC G4. Even tried removing version 2.0.1 before the install and still won't work. Any ideas? Thanks.

The earlier version installed a receipt that is incorrectly labeled 2.1 instead of 2.0.1. If you delete the receipt files in /Library/Receipts that begin with 'Install Garmin Webupdater' you should be good to go.

Fred

Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker and a 1st time poster. I just received my Etrex Legend Hcx today and went to the my garmin site to register it. It turns out that they just released a new version of WebUpdater for Mac. It is version 2.0.2 dated December 7 2007. I just used it to successfully update my gps to software version 2.40 and GPS SW to version 2.30. I'm glad to see at least some support for Mac. :)

Larry

The earlier version installed a receipt that is incorrectly labeled 2.1 instead of 2.0.1. If you delete the receipt files in /Library/Receipts that begin with 'Install Garmin Webupdater' you should be good to go.

Fred

Thanks Fred, that worked! But the receipts are only visible when I perform a search. They don't appear in the Finder view for some reason.