Upgrading my GPS... any suggestions?

I currently have a Garmin eTrex Legend and it's worked for me as a beginner. But I'm wanting to upgrade as I always seem to have problems keeping a signal in tree cover or even just on a cloudy day. I've never been able to get a reading better than a 30 foot range.

So if anyone could maybe post what they have and how they like it... pros/cons... that would be great.

Thanks.

-Lori

I haven't made the plunge yet and have had the Garmin Vista for over 4 years now. I think my next investment will be the new Garmin Vista HCX. I'm getting sick of banging the dang thing on the dash every time the screen goes out.... :D it's seen better days. And I've reglued the rubber around the perimeter of it too many times.

Two suggestions: If you like the eTrex form factor, upgrade to one of the new eTrex "H" receivers. They are as high-sensitivity as the Garmin 60CSX, the 600-pound gorilla of GPS units.

The second suggestion? Right--the 60csx, but only if you want a larger screen or the ability to use an external antenna. It's what I use hiking. I've banged mine up quite a bit, and it's never missed a beat!

I currently have a Garmin eTrex Legend and it's worked for me as a beginner. But I'm wanting to upgrade as I always seem to have problems keeping a signal in tree cover or even just on a cloudy day. I've never been able to get a reading better than a 30 foot range.

So if anyone could maybe post what they have and how they like it... pros/cons... that would be great.

Thanks.

-Lori

I think what you want is Garmin eTrex Vista HCX or 60 CSx. Vista HCX is aout $100 cheaper but there is $50 mail-in-rebate promotion on 60 CSx. I liked a kind of a small form factor of Vista but I read a posting about a bug of eTrex H series. You probably want to read this link Gpspassion

Because of this bug, I just placed an order for 60 HCx at Amazon. I'm still considering returning 60 and reorder Vista because of the size and battery life. (60 Csx:18 hrs, Vista:25hrs)

You probably want to read this link Gpspassion

Because of this bug, I just placed an order for 60 HCx at Amazon.

The so called track log bug is not really much of an issue and it certainly would not be wise to reject a particular gps because of a bug that will be fixed in a firmware update.

Also do not forget that the 60 screen is a lower quality. Lower resolution and much lower brightness.

Remember the estimated accuracy the GPS displays depends a lot on how optimistic the mfg wants to be in what they tell you/display. In other words, to get an idea of real accuracy you need to compare two units actual location output side by side. One way to do this is to look at time based track logs created when you are standing still, particularly in a poor reception situation.

The Vista HCX is reported to do well at keeping signal under tree cover.

I have a 60CSx. It’s done well for me under trees…to the point that I don’t even think about it loosing signal. I had a Magellan 315 before…there is a big difference. I have found that where and how I carry it makes a big difference. Also, when reception is quite poor, it will loose accuracy long before it displays a low accuracy reading or reports that it’s lost signal…actually I don’t think I’ve ever had it report that it’s lost signal while hiking in the woods.

The so called track log bug is not really much of an issue and it certainly would not be wise to reject a particular gps because of a bug that will be fixed in a firmware update.

Also do not forget that the 60 screen is a lower quality. Lower resolution and much lower brightness.

In my opinion, that's a bit overstated. The screen resolution of the HCX is 176x220 (38,720 px) and of the 60CSx is 160x240 (38,400 px). As you can see, they are almost identical in total pixels with one a touch higher res horizontally and the other a touch higher res vertically. The 60CSx screen is a bit larger but that just means that is looks exactly the same when held an extra inch or two from your eyes. In fact, one nice thing about the larger screen is that they use part of it for a permanent status bar and it's nice to have that information at a glance rather than having to press the on/off key to bring it up. Anyway, I have and use both and can say that you are never aware of the resolution difference or different aspect ratios when using them. The HCx screen is definitely brighter, but even that's something that will only matter in certain circumstances. I have never, ever been unable to clearly see my 60CSx screen and would never think twice about the brightness unless I was standing there holding it up to the HCx. However, I can see the possibility that if you hike in the desert or other places with lots of bright, direct sun, it's possible it could make a difference there.

On the bug, there seem to be two contingents around here... people who use the trip computer and think it's a problem and those who do not use it and, therefore, do not think it's a problem. You will have to decide for yourself whether or not it matters to you. You cannot assume they will fix it since there is no guarantee they'll be able to. I think the odds are good, but you should be willing to live without the fix if it turns out that way.

All-in-all, I don't think you can go wrong with either device. I'd just pick the one that you like the design of better.