Joshua Tree

SpaceCowboy56

My problem is: my son's Boy Scout unit tells me to find a list of list of geocaches inside the Joshua Tree National Monument. I don't know how I got elected, but there I am. I went looking, and I can't find any within the National Monument. None. I was supposed to find them around the Lost Horse Mine, Ryan Mountain, places like that. Are there caches inside the Monument and I'm just not doing this right?

All help greatly appreciated.

My problem is: my son's Boy Scout unit tells me to find a list of list of geocaches inside the Joshua Tree National Monument. I don't know how I got elected, but there I am. I went looking, and I can't find any within the National Monument. None. I was supposed to find them around the Lost Horse Mine, Ryan Mountain, places like that. Are there caches inside the Monument and I'm just not doing this right?

All help greatly appreciated.

Howdy......

Try a 'zip code' search...

Vern / Foothills Drifter......

Physical cache containers are generally not permitted within any property, such as a National Monument, that is administered by the National Park Service. There might be an old grandfathered virtual cache or two, or maybe an earthcache, which doesn't have a container.

As someone else noted, physical caches are not allowed in national parks. However, there may be virtuals, or earth caches. to find them, get a waypoint for the center of JTNP. You should be able to set one in your GPS mapping software. Or, if you don't have mapping software, you can set a placemark in Google Earth.

Now, in the geocaching.com search page, use the coordinates of your waypoint/placemark to do a search. On the results page, click on the "Search for caches with Google Maps" link at the top of the page. That will show you a map of JTNP, with icons for any caches in the park. The caches will also be listed to the right of the map. Zoom out on the map until you can see the entire park.

Hope that helps!

I simply input the phrase "Joshua Tree caches" into my search line and came up with this.

Joshua Tree Caches

Edited to say Ooooops,, that link does not show GC.com approved caches......

That search may have simply put up caches that have the name "Joshua Tree" in them, perhaps named because they are near or in one......(wow, haven't heard that term since we were last in So Cal 6 years ago!)