garmin 60csx, garmin 60cs

As stated above, both have the electronic compass and the altimiter. The "s" in the name is for "sensors". The CSx has the high sensitivity SiRF III chip and it grabs and holds a signal better. It also adds the use of a microSD card for greatly expanded memory capabilities.

I used to have a 76CS and I upgraded to a 76CSx. My old CS unit worked great but had issues with signal in some places. For instance, if I was riding in my wife's car, I had to have the unit on the dash or hold it up to the window in order to get satellite signal. Alternately, I could use an external antenna stuck on the roof. My CSx unit grabs signal in her car without a problem. Heck, I get a ton of strong signals sitting at my desk inside the house. Additionally, in places where the CS unit would drop signal, the CSx hangs in there with good signal reception.

The CS unit had limited memory. The CSx has the same limited base memory, but I've added a 2GB microSD card. I have all the street maps for the entire US, Canada, and Puerto Rico stored on the card. Additionally, I have some "custom POI" files stored there. I have all the caches I've ever found stored in my All Finds POI. I have a "red light camera" database as well. When I'm in a strange town and approach an intersection with a traffic enforcement camera, I get an alarm and a popup warning me to watch out for the red light camera. You can have all sorts of data on the card.

If you have a choice, get the "x" model. You won't be sorry.