Geocaching Acronyms

mattmorrish

To My Fellow Geocahers:

I am newbie to the Geocaching scene and have noticed a lot of acronymous signatures throughout many of the Geocaches I have reviewed. Would someone mind clarifying what the following mean:

TFTH

TNLNSL

and Muggle (not an acronym)

Thanks

MAtt

TFTH ~ Thanks for the hunt/

TNLNSL ~ Took Nothing, Left Nothing, Signed Log.

Muggle ~ is a non-geocacher (like from Harry Potter; a non-magic user)

Although it's good to know what these acronyms mean when reading others' logs, as a newbie I hope you don't assume that using the acronyms as the sole information left on your posts is appropriate. See the following thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=172314 "the lost art of logging"

Many use the acronyms within their posts, but those who use only acronyms for their posting do not help improve the game or their fellow cachers. As a newbie myself, reading the forums has been very illuminating and has enhanced my geocaching experience. Good to see a fellow newb reading them as well.

Happy caching!

Although it's good to know what these acronyms mean when reading others' logs, as a newbie I hope you don't assume that using the acronyms as the sole information left on your posts is appropriate. See the following thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=172314 "the lost art of logging"

Many use the acronyms within their posts, but those who use only acronyms for their posting do not help improve the game or their fellow cachers. As a newbie myself, reading the forums has been very illuminating and has enhanced my geocaching experience. Good to see a fellow newb reading them as well.

Happy caching!

I don't know. It could be that by only posting "TFTC", they're saying volumes about the quality of the cache.

To My Fellow Geocahers:

I am newbie to the Geocaching scene and have noticed a lot of acronymous signatures throughout many of the Geocaches I have reviewed. Would someone mind clarifying what the following mean:

TFTH

TNLNSL

and Muggle (not an acronym)

Thanks

MAtt

Terms such as TFTH, FTF, and TNLNSL are not acronyms, and rather, are shorthand abbreviations. An acronym is an easily-pronounced word formed from the first letters of a name, such as "radar" for "radio detection and ranging", while terms such as TFTH, FTF and TNLNSL do not form easily-pronouned words and instead form gibberish clusters of uppercase letters, where each letter is recited in order to form the term.

Terms such as TFTH, FTF, and TNLNSL are not acronyms, and rather, are shorthand abbreviations. An acronym is an easily-pronounced word formed from the first letters of a name, such as "radar" for "radio detection and ranging", while terms such as TFTH, FTF and TNLNSL do not form easily-pronouned words and instead form gibberish clusters of uppercase letters, where each letter is recited in order to form the term.

Well, that used to be true. But it's becoming synonymous with initialization. An interesting thing about the English language is that when wrong usage reaches a tipping point, it becomes right.