A.t books

Trevuuuur1993

I've collected a combination of books, some the story as told by a hiker after the trip and some field guides with maps. I love the stories and often pick a hiker on whiteblaze and follow from start to finish.

The guides are interesting, but not as much unless you plan on getting out there yourself. I started in the library just reading everything. Now I stop by the hiking center at Neel's gap, GA (the AT goes right through the building) and look through their collection. And the web is full of stuff.

I've read a couple of good books on the AT. The first one was A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. He "only" hiked about 800 miles of the trail but his book is pretty entertaining. I also read Walking With Spring by Earl V. Shaffer. It recounts his journey as the first person to thru-hike the AT back in the 1940's. Not as entertaining as Bryson's book but interesting since he was "tha man" who did it when everyone told him he couldn't. On my wish list is The Adventures of the Barefoot Sisters who yo-yo'ed the AT back in 2001 - mostly while barefoot. As a barefoot hiker myself I would love to hear their story.

Reading trail journals online was also mentioned. I did this over the summer on a site called Trail Journals. I read the awesome adventures of a hiker called "Gatorgump" who has diabetes and had suffered a heart attack. He posted a journal entry for every single day and his writing was absolutely hilarious!

I'm heading out tomorrow (10/6/07) to finish up a section hike in Maryland. See ya on the trail!