new gps

Trevuuuur1993

in real terms, viewing the 60CSx at 10 inches is pretty much the same as viewing the HCx at 9 inches. However the height to width ratio is a bit more on the 60CSx but this extra height is taken up by a menu bar that tells you what page you are on, as if one couldn't tell that the altimeter was on the altimeter page and the map is on the map page, etc.

Another way of looking at it, is that because the HCx has 10% more pixels and is 10% smaller across the width it would mean the although the 60CSx is 10% bigger it needs to be viewed 10% further away to attain the same clarity of resolution.

This is what tipped me towards the HCx after 4 weeks of soul searching. I felt that Garmin (as usual) were messing with my mind.

Edited by gallet

Hey,

I'm looking into buying a new garmin gps for geoaching. I was wondering if anybody had any advise on one. (200-300$$$)

One with a usb cable, or if you know of another fast way to upload caches

We originally got 2 of the garmin Rino 120's for hunting. They turned out to be refurbs and we paid for new :) so we sent them back. While we had them we tried them out walking in the woods, checked satellite reception, etc.

The 120 dropped reception when walking in moderate tree cover, couldn't seem to get better than 60-90 foot accuracy (WAAS enabled) and could often not get enough satellites for 3D reception on my front porch. They also only had a serial cable, PIA to hook into the back of the computer.

After sending the 120's back we pooled the money from 2 and bought one 520 HCx and WOW! Gathers 6-9 satellites in the house, never drops them, can get to 9 feet on a regular basis, most often about 16 feet. Has a USB cable. If you can afford it get a Garmin with the HCx antenna. The 120's without it were basically useless since they lost reception every time we went into the woods.

Guess we were lucky about the refurb snafu, or we would never have gotten the HCx. The compass is about useless since it is not magnetic, but I can get a pocket compass for a buck vs the extra expense of going to the 530. We did get a great deal from an online retailer for about $350 with shipping. You won't regret spending the extra $$.

Just my 2 cents worth.