Yet another "which GPS should I buy" thread

KristiB50

I'm just starting out and am not sure exactly how much GPS I really need.

Too little and I may have to upgrade soon. But I don't want a lot of bells and whistles I'll never use.

The one's I have in my Amazon cart are:

Garmin e Trex

Garmin e Trex Vista CX

Garmin e Trex Vista HCX with built in GPS patch antennae(whatever that is)

And how about the Idiot's Guide to Geocaching book? Is it worthy read for a noob?

Edited by KristiB50

Welcome to the Forums! :lol:

I just upgraded my trusty Garmin Vista C to the Vista HCx. I paid $228.00 from "The Nerds" site. To make the most of that GPSr, you will also want to purchase the City Navigator maps, which will be another $100.00 or so. I wouldn't get one of the monochrome units like the Legend or Vista just because that is older technology, and they connect to your computer with a Serial, instead of USB, connection.

The Legend HCx is another model you might look at.

I don't think you need the book. You should be able to learn everything from the FAQs on this site, and from these Forums.

I hike but on trails.

A GPS could change all that. :lol:

So the HCX is the newest technology?

What's the difference between the etrex and the Legend?

Yes the HCX GPSs are the latest and greatest. They have a much more sensentive GPS chip and expandable memory for maps. The yellow etrex does not support maps and the Legend does. The Legend does not have have electronic compass and the Vista does. The electronic compass keeps the arrow pointed at the cache even if yuo stop and turn. Without it you will have to walk 5-10 feet to get a new bearing on the cache. Edited by TrailGators

Buy something cheap; go out and look for some caches. If you get into it and if your still doing it after a few months, you can always consider an upgrade. Unless you have money to burn or need a GPS unit for other purposes, there is no point in spending a lot of $$$ for a GPSer which may end up in the bottom of your sock drawer after a few weeks. Lowrance has some entry level models worth a look too!

Good luck and happy cachin' !!!

Buy something cheap; go out and look for some caches. If you get into it and if your still doing it after a few months, you can always consider an upgrade. Unless you have money to burn or need a GPS unit for other purposes, there is no point in spending a lot of $$$ for a GPSer which may end up in the bottom of your sock drawer after a few weeks. Lowrance has some entry level models worth a look too!

Good luck and happy cachin' !!!

I agree wholeheartedly. For weeks I agonized as to which GPS to buy; then an eXplorist 100 came up on sale at Wal Mart. Just the basics: manual coords loading, no connection to a computer, black & white. But the darn thing works just fine and is giving me the opportunity to casually analyze more sophisticated units while still enjoying successful geocaching. No software and download problems with this one=glad I went this way.

But to each their own :lol:

Edited by RV'n Iowans

Too little and I may have to upgrade soon. But I don't want a lot of bells and whistles I'll never use.

It doesn't work like that. Some of the most useful features come bundled with others you may not think you want. For example you may not want an removable memory card but the models with a removable card have better battery life which you will want. Also note that colour models are more efficient than the monochromes.

So the HCX is the newest technology?

As far the the eTrex range goes the 'newest' technology is indicated by the H that will work even under tree cover or canyons. You will want that.

What's the difference between the Vista and the Legend?

The Vista has an electronic compass. Which means the pointer will point to the cache when you are moving slowly or are stationary.

The basic model Yellow eTrex has a method of inputting names for waypoints that is almost unusably frustrating.