NE Geocache Rescue, Recovery and Adoption

nikcap

- If you know of an archived cache that needs to be recovered, please post it here.

- If you have a cache that you need to adopt out also post that here.

- If there is a cache in need of maintenance and the owner is MIA, post it here also.

This is not a place to complain about caches or cachers, virtues of other listing services, or whether or not logging a find an archived cache is cheating.

Let's use this thread to keep the playground in the Northeast clean of Geo-Litter and Geo-Trash.

We want everyone, newbies and geo-vets to enjoy their caching experience, as well, be responsible for our Playground.

Edited by ekitt10

From the recent topic, ? Unlisted geocache.

Stairway To Heaven

Owner last logged in to the website over 3 1/2 years ago.

The owner made this log:

December 1, 2002 by 4FUN & Dog (35 found)

Temporarily disabled. Cache Removed. PA State Park Services requires a permit is filled out. I will bring this one back after I get the okay from the proper authorities!

The recent discovery suggest the cache may still be in place.

Don't get me started, ekitt10. I could come up with dozens...

My first nominee is: By George! What a bridge! It was a great cache, but the location is untenable. I'd adopt it, but I'd have to move it a few hundred feet, and then, it wouldn't be the same cache. Not archived yet, but well on its way.

By the sounds of things, this cache is now placed in a illegal or no access area.

Regardless, once Pofe archives this one due to lack of owner maintenance, it will officially become Geo-Trash.

Ideally, someone should recover it and request that is archived.

Has anyone heard from AD on this matter?

Edited by ekitt10

POW / MIA YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN. (GCZQ53) in Middlesex, NJ needs to be recovered.

Last find log is from June 18

"This Cache needs some attention. It is completely wet the log was unsignable so I left a signed scrap of paper. The Lid has been chewed by some animals. ..."

The CO temp disable the cache June 23, and this is also the last day the user logged in.

The cache was archived on Sept 11, 2007.

Edited by ekitt10

I have tried without much success to adopt several caches archived by "petmar." He offered me only one of several. I've emailed him several times but he does not respond. He has moved away as I understand it. Should I post those caches here? Pofe told me I could place my own caches in the archived locations but I have not done so yet. There are some great locations that need to have new caches.

Pris6966

I have tried without much success to adopt several caches archived by "petmar." He offered me only one of several. I've emailed him several times but he does not respond. He has moved away as I understand it. Should I post those caches here? Pofe told me I could place my own caches in the archived locations but I have not done so yet. There are some great locations that need to have new caches.

Pris6966

Yeah, according to Ground Speak's general policy and guidlines, archived caches are not valid candidates for adoptions. Now, if the physical caches are still in place, but are not listed on any sites, they make good candidates for recovery. In which case, I would list them here, and hopefully someone will visit the site and collect what was left behind.

If the cache has already been recovered and archive, and you're still impressed with the area and location, place a new cache there and have it listed under a new cache listing.

If the cache is still in place and in good repair, perhaps Permar can ask a reviewer to un-archive the cache and then he can adopt it out to you.

...Regardless, once Pofe archives this one due to lack of owner maintenance, it will officially become Geo-Trash....

Maybe, maybe not. Slow owner maintaince can get a cache archived and still have the cache be maintained. If the owner is MIA fair enough. Pull the archived cache and call it a job well done. If the owner will maintain it, work with them to speed up the process but don't just go steal the cache.