City Navigator NT on SD card question

Nakedbamboo

If you purchase one of the preloaded SD cards, is it possible to load that onto your PC like you could with the DVD? Is there anyway to make a backup in case you loose it or it gets erased or something? I would rather get the DVD, but the store I would get it from only carries the cards.

And what does the NT stand for? They say it uses a different compression for your NT compatible devices. Does that mean Windows NT? surely not. I am wanting this for a 60CSx.

Although it may be possible I have not heard of any way to load the SD card map info onto your computer. Most people go with the DVD version for a few reasons. First, as you mentioned, is the ability to store and use the map info onto your computer. Second is the fact that loading the DVD info onto your own miniSD card allows you to keep other info on the card such as additional POI's. The one big advantage to a preloaded SD card is that you can load it onto what ever GPS receiver that you want to. The newer versions of City Navigator NT may only be unlocked to one particular unit. That is to say if you get a new GPS unit you also have to buy a new copy of City Navigator (or purchace another unlock code for the same amount of money). With so many online resources you should not feel like you have to only buy from your local store. In most cases you can find it cheaper online anyway. The NT simply stands for "new technology". As you said it is just a different way to compress the information. I have heard that it was originally developed for the car set GPS models. On certain models of Garmin GPS receivers use the NT version so make sure yours is the right one. The NT has nothing to do with Windows NT. Good luck.

I purchased the City Navigator NT maps on the chip for my 60CSx since I'm a Mac user and I have no way to load the DVD or use the MapSource software. I also saved the cost of a miniSD card.

Some observations:

>The maps take up about 1 GB of the 2 GB card they shipped me.

>Using the USB cable and the "Interface" mode, I was able to see the files containing the maps. I didn't have the guts to drag them over to my hard drive to see if they backed up.

One question I have is whether I can save tracks to the card and upload them to my Mac without risk of corrupting the map files?

-murray

Although it may be possible I have not heard of any way to load the SD card map info onto your computer. Most people go with the DVD version for a few reasons. First, as you mentioned, is the ability to store and use the map info onto your computer. Second is the fact that loading the DVD info onto your own miniSD card allows you to keep other info on the card such as additional POI's. The one big advantage to a preloaded SD card is that you can load it onto what ever GPS receiver that you want to. The newer versions of City Navigator NT may only be unlocked to one particular unit. That is to say if you get a new GPS unit you also have to buy a new copy of City Navigator (or purchace another unlock code for the same amount of money). With so many online resources you should not feel like you have to only buy from your local store. In most cases you can find it cheaper online anyway. The NT simply stands for "new technology". As you said it is just a different way to compress the information. I have heard that it was originally developed for the car set GPS models. On certain models of Garmin GPS receivers use the NT version so make sure yours is the right one. The NT has nothing to do with Windows NT. Good luck.

Unfortunately, it wasn't due to the fact that it was a local store, but for the fact that it is the only store that I can use my Discover Card reward points at that carries this software. Crutchfield is the only Discover Card partner that has it, and they only have it on SD. By the way they are also where I got my GPS with my points. It doesn't feel like I am actually spending money that way and the wife doesn't complain. Oh well, I might have to break down and spend $97 which is the cheapest I was able to find it online.