new explorist 400....whats the point of mapsend lite?

marknamy

Hi folks,

We just purchased an explorist 400 and have been out for a day of seeking already.

In trying to figure out the features of the 400, I installed the software that came with it.

The mapsend manager, and mapsend lite.

I wanted to know what the point of including that mapsend lite app is? really it does nothing that I can find, other than frustrate me.

I'm trying to determine what other software will work with my gpsr.

I know mapsend topo canada 3d will, however i don't want to shell out $120 for it...yet.

What other software do you folks use to regional maps/details maps?

will microsoft streets & trips be able to upload detail maps to my gpsr??

any hel/suggestions welcome.

thanks,

marknamy

Google, ya gotta love it:

"With MapSend Lite V2 you can view your Magellan certified preloaded SD card maps on the big screen of your PC!

MapSend Lite V2, enables you to view maps preloaded on SD cards on the PC, plan your route before your journey, replay your track history downloaded from the GPS, plot your position in real time and view your map in either latitude/longitude or UTM coordinates.

Working off Magellan certified maps preloaded on the SD card such as DiscoverAus Streets & Tracks Topo or MapSend BlueNav XL3 Oceania charts, you can view your maps in 2D, 3D, 3D shaded relief or 3D in car view (3D with topo only) on your PC screen.

Visualise and create your waypoints and routes more easily on the PC, using the Topo map or marine chart as a background, before downloading them to your Magellan GPS, or upload your waypoints and routes that you have mapped on your GPS to view them on your PC." :blink::):)

had mapsend v 1, just downloaded and installed v2, and it has some better features

however still no ability to upload a detailed map to my gps though.

so what are other explorist users using? other than buying the mapsend canada for $100ish?

just wondering.

thinking i might soon have to plunk down for it anyways though.

marknamy

had mapsend v 1, just downloaded and installed v2, and it has some better features

however still no ability to upload a detailed map to my gps though.

so what are other explorist users using? other than buying the mapsend canada for $100ish?

just wondering.

thinking i might soon have to plunk down for it anyways though.

marknamy

What is it exactly that you are trying to accomplish? And no, MS S&T cannot load maps to your gps.

Edited by Team Cotati

I have the Explorist 500LE. I shelled out the $100 or so for the unlock code for Canada Topo. It was well worth the money. Not only is there detail, it's way more accurate. Mapsend Lite really doesn't have much on it for Canada. You can still find caches without it of course. You just need to be a little more prepared in knowing where to go to start your search.

Pricey, yes, but in my opinion, it is worth the money.

That's just my two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

Cheers! :)

Bill

I wanted to know what the point of including that mapsend lite app is? really it does nothing that I can find, other than frustrate me.

What are you trying to do with it?

I know mapsend topo canada 3d will, however i don't want to shell out $120 for it...yet.

Magellan maps and Garmin maps are proprietary. The device will not owrk with any other mapping program. If you want street level maps, you must shell out big bucks for the proprietary software.

What are you trying to do with it?

Magellan maps and Garmin maps are proprietary. The device will not owrk with any other mapping program. If you want street level maps, you must shell out big bucks for the proprietary software.

"Big bucks" is a relative term. :ph34r::laughing::ph34r:

When I bought my Explorist back in January it came with a $12.00 downloadable North America detailed map with a free upgrade to the full version to Mapsend. Not sure if that was just for the Explorist 600 or not. It was tucked away on a slip of paper in the box. Could have very easily thrown it away if I'm not one to read over everything.