Mag 210 "configure nand" prob

frex3wv

I have a Mag 210 that I love - it works great.

This morning on my way to a hopeful FTF - the battery died - I put new ones in and now can't get passed the "hit enter to configure NAND" screen (which I had never seen before). It acts like its doing what it needs to then simply turns off.

Anyone ever have the prob? any advice?

Welcome to the endless NAND loop--a not uncommon Explorist event wherein some obscure area of memory apparently becomes corrupted.

The general fix is to clear serial memory, which leads to a new problem--a hosed basemap. The GPS won't boot without a basemap, so then you have to restore it.

This is recoverable--see here and here. However, the first site calls for a firmware restore which I don't think is always needed, and the second one I don't have organized too well (I broke it down into two different problems). I'm also not certain--never having had to do this myself--that it's is sufficiently clear or comprehensive.

Try following the second link's suggestions and let me know how you make out. Please make a note of any place that seems unclear or you have to figure something out (i.e., what would you have liked to have been told at that point). If you can give me any feedback on something that would smooth it out, I'll rewrite the instructions. This comes up often enough that we should have a clear set of procedures to refer to. That first link is pretty good, but I suspect the firmware restore is not always needed.

Embra:

I may try the fix - but a question first -

I spoke to mag. support this am - and they decided to send me a manufacturer re-furbished explorist 600 to replace my 210.

Should I accept that deal/upgrade - or go for the fix and if it works, just keep the 210?

Oh, I'd take the 600 over the 210--SD card, color, and electronic compass (I don't regard the barometer and temperature sensors as very useful). I prefer the Li-Ion battery over the AAs (others don't).

Personally, I don't worry too much about refurbs...they are supposed to be thoroughly tested to be up to factory specs, with any worn parts replaced. Both options leave you with a used unit, so why not have the fancy one. Actually the exchange for the 600 seems pretty generous to me.

I agree totally with embra on that one. I'd jump at the chance to exchange a 210 for a refurbed 600. Refurbs are fine. You'll probably get a 1-year warranty with it. They're quite often very solid, as they will go through strenuous testing before being released. I'm not afraid of refurbs at all, and have never had a problem with any refurbed electronics of any kind. As a matter of fact, my home wireless network consists of refurbed wireless router, card, and printer. Working like a charm for over 2 years now.