Seeking historic Gps receivers

While most of the world is looking for the latest and greatest gps available, I am on a different quest. I am always looking for the oldest clunkiest working gps receivers I can find. If I could find something in a wooden case with a crank on the side I would be thrilled. I occasionally give educational talks based on gps technology to geocaching groups and others where I use my receivers as examples, and I often get questions about the history of gps receivers, so I am actively seeking some older models to use as examples. So if you have an old gpsr sitting on the shelf that you would like to get rid of, send me a message with model information and price. The bigger and older the better, let me know what you have.

I already have samples of these receivers:

Garmin 12XL

Garmin 45

Garmin GPS V

Garmin Etrex

Garmin Geko

Garmin Rino

Garmin Quest

Garmin 60 series

Magellan Sportrak Pro

I would love to find an old Magellan 1000 Plus or similar unit

Very kewl idea.

Cant help you, but when I was in the military, I was an avionics technician.

I saw my first GPS unit in 1987. It was about 2ft long, 1.5ft wide, and about 8" high, and weighed about 50lbs. It had a separate display unit, that used those old wire-filament LED displays, lots of actual knobs and switches.

Would be kewl to check one of those out against the new stuff, but I think it might be pretty hard to find a 400VAC, 120Hz power supply.

The ones we worked on were in use in all-weather KC-130 Refuelers.

Monkeybrad, Sorry to tempt you with nothing.

The first "GPS" I ever used consisted of a compass, a map, a plotter, a do hickey that got a signal from 1 satellite and an attachment to the wheel of the vehicle.

It worked thus :

You centered the map on the plotter and set the map scale on the plotter. You then "told the plotter where you were from the satellite signal which had been averaging for 12 hours. You then had to correct the position if you were able to.

As you drove the receiver would lose the signal but the compass and wheel measuring devices would keep track of where you turned, the directon you were going and how far you went, which would then get the plotter to draw a line on the map so you could track yourself.

It was truely revolutionary at the time and top secret too.

Wish I still had one of those.

Edit for seepilng

Edited by tttedzeins