How did you miss that?

andylphoto

In this thread 27E_20 said:

There was nothing there, dont get me wrong- I think I'd notice a 60 foot tower with the location adjusted.

I didn't want to clutter up the other thread, but it struck me as funny given an intersection station I recovered (on gc.com) this week. I actually went to take photos to document its destruction, given a 2004 report from another "agency" that the stack had been taken down. Nope.

Read all about it and see the photos here.

Also found another "not found." I submitted an NGS recovery, but can't log it here, as the PID got missed in the import somehow. Check out RL0717. The mark is on the OLD bridge. The current bridge at the approximate location was built in 1952, but the mark was set in 1948. Walked to the old bridge, about .1 mile SE and found the mark right where it was supposed to be. Sometime you just gotta look in the right spot.

While it is probably not good karma to be bashing the USPSQD:

I swear there are times when they can only be relying on their memories of a road trip when logging recoveries.

Billy-Bob: 'Hey Bubba! Didja 'member seein' the big smokestack down by th' river?

Bubba: 'Naw, I didn't see nuthin'! '

Billy-Bob: 'OKAY, I guess it's a 'not recovered'. '

Billy-Bob: 'Hey Bubba! Didja 'member seein' the big smokestack down by th' river?

Bubba: 'Naw, I didn't see nuthin'! '

Billy-Bob: 'OKAY, I guess it's a 'not recovered'. '

Except there in Michigan (or maybe Minnesota), it would be more like:

Johann: Hej, Jorgen, did ja see dat der smokestack?

Jorgen: Naw, see nottin' der, don't cha know!

Johann: Ja, it for sure be no recovery.

I've found at least four that NJGS was unable to locate. Two of them were tough and took a few visits. But two of them were easy finds and right where they were supposed to be. KU1648 for example.

Hi, Harry,

The State team should have looked at a topo map, where they would have seen that the mark is not at the published coordinates, but instead is at N40 50.11, W078 58.28. That's consistent with your on-site GPS reading.

The published coordinates are far to the east, in a parking lot.

Good job on that one!

-Paul-