Hunting GPS choice

Hello all,

I do a lot of hunting, four wheeling, outdoors stuff in general, that puts me in places where I may be trespassing.

Currently, I have an eXplorist 500 and Mapsend Topo 3D. What I would like to do is be able to draw borders on the map so that I know where I can/can't be. Basically copy fence lines and section lines and the like. Mapsend doesn't seem to be able to do this.

Is the a software available that will allow me to do this?

I am willing to get a different gps if necessary. I have been really thinking the Garmin 60CSx. Will this unit and its software allow borders/fencelines to be drawn?

Maybe I should just ask how can I do this?

I am kind of lost on how I can accomplish this.

Thanx,

rash

I think it is not so much a matter of the GPS, but rather of the mapping software that the GPS will use. I'm not sure if it's the best for your needs, but the Delorme Topo USA 6/PN-20 combo is one good contender. The T6 software allows one to add draw shapes (e.g., shaded polygons) to layers on the map which can then be transferred to the PN-20. (here is a post with some examples of the T6 screenshots on the PC, followed by some screenshots on the PN-20. Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the thread to see the improvement on the problematic shot following the firmware update).

The PN-20 is a new product for Delorme, and so it has a few rough edges/compromises requiring some patience. I expect to see improvements with future firmware updates, but you would want to know what to expect before buying. I consider it a good hiking GPS but a mediocre autorouter.

The problem with Garmin and Magellan offerings is that their map software does not lend itself easily to editing. I understand there are ways to do such, but they strike me as relatively time consuming activities (I speak with more knowledge of Magellan software than of Garmin).

I think it is not so much a matter of the GPS, but rather of the mapping software that the GPS will use. I'm not sure if it's the best for your needs, but the Delorme Topo USA 6/PN-20 combo is one good contender. The T6 software allows one to add draw shapes (e.g., shaded polygons) to layers on the map which can then be transferred to the PN-20. (here is a post with some examples of the T6 screenshots on the PC, followed by some screenshots on the PN-20. Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the thread to see the improvement on the problematic shot following the firmware update)....

Good link. I like where that GPS is headed. Boundaries (BLM, Forest Service) etc. would be nice to have on a GPS. The arial maps etc. are also good. They need to fix their map price strategy among other things. If google earth and others can use free arial...this GPS should be able to import it. Still they are headed the right way and if Garmin does it better when I'm ready to upgrade, great.

I'm in the process of creating a set of maps based on the KS WIHA (walk-in hunting access) 2007 atlas that can be loaded into my Garmin 60CSx. It's pretty easy now that I've got the various tools setup, just tedious...lot of little squares to hand draw...

I end up with all the areas overlaying the topo map, in pseudo-transparent form so I can see the topo details under them. I'm also putting in a POI for each section, so I can do a "Find/Goto" for any of the particular areas.

I requested the raw data (shape files, etc) from KS dept of wildlife, but haven't heard back, so I'm doing it manually:

I started with the Atlas (in PDF), took a BMP from that into OziExplorer to geo-locate/calibrate. Then the .MAP output of that into GPSMapEdit where you do all of the drawing of polygons. A little text editing on that .MP file to duplicate the polygons into POIs, outlines, and duplicate polygons at other zoom levels. Then export that .MP file over into a Garmin-compatible .IMG file using MapEdit/cGPSMapper. Then use MapSetToolKit to install that .IMG file into Garmin's MapSource app easily. THEN use MapSource to load it into the GPSr, along with whatever TOPO & street maps I want.

See! Isn't that EASY?!?!?! :blink:

For reference, here's the atlas - I'm putting in all of the little yellow/brown sections in the major grids that we hunt:

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/kdwp_info...l_hunting_atlas

Here's another post with a great video tutorial of the basics, using Google Earth as a data source:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=169270

-RenHoek

Edited by RenHoek

Hello all,

I do a lot of hunting, four wheeling, outdoors stuff in general, that puts me in places where I may be trespassing.

Currently, I have an eXplorist 500 and Mapsend Topo 3D. What I would like to do is be able to draw borders on the map so that I know where I can/can't be. Basically copy fence lines and section lines and the like. Mapsend doesn't seem to be able to do this.

I am willing to get a different gps if necessary. I have been really thinking the Garmin 60CSx. Will this unit and its software allow borders/fencelines to be drawn?

Thanx,

rash

Check out the Lowrance website and download the manual for the iFinder Hunt. I think it will do what you want.

I started with the Atlas (in PDF), took a BMP from that into OziExplorer

I would be interested in how you got the PDF data to BMP. I've done something similar in the past (using the Snapshot Tool), but needed large magnifications to get the bit densities I wanted, and got system crashes when I tried to select large areas.

I would be interested in how you got the PDF data to BMP. I've done something similar in the past (using the Snapshot Tool), but needed large magnifications to get the bit densities I wanted, and got system crashes when I tried to select large areas.

Hertzog-

I'm just using the Snapshot tool in Adobe Reader 8 to grab the image. For the KS maps, I use the Marquee Zoom tool to maximize the display (on a 1280x1024 monitor) and that's been good enough. I'm starting in on South Dakota's atlas and it needs a higher magnification.

So, you can zoom in to a fixed level (like 200%) and THEN use the Snapshot tool to grab the image. Starting at the upper left corner, the screen auto-pans when you get to the scrollbars in the lower right corner, so you can end up with a big fat (8MB+) bmp. If that chokes your system (or OziExplorer), you can use something like PaintShop Pro/Photoshop/etc to reduce the color depth to 16 colors - that results in a more manageable 1.5 MB BMP file.

-RenHoek

I use Photoshop to convert PDF's to Jpeg format for using in OZI (that works best especially if the PDF map is very large). I've also just taken screen shots of smaller maps (from map viewers on the web where I can't download a file). I use MWSnap for the screen capture (it's free to download) and it lets you save in various formats.

I use Photoshop to convert PDF's to Jpeg format for using in OZI...<snip>

That's a good recommendation - pulling a PDF into PhotoShop gives you the option for non-antialiased, which makes the boundary edges nice and sharp (assuming they're not already anti-aliased in the PDF doc)!

Now, if only somebody could figure out how to get the vectorized data in a PDF map like South Dakota's Atlas directly into MapEdit....

-RenHoek

I use Photoshop to convert PDF's to Jpeg format for using in OZI (that works best especially if the PDF map is very large). I've also just taken screen shots of smaller maps (from map viewers on the web where I can't download a file). I use MWSnap for the screen capture (it's free to download) and it lets you save in various formats.

I didn't realize that photoshop imported pdf files (but it makes since since both are "Adobe". I'll give that a try the next time I want to do that; thanks.

John

So, you can zoom in to a fixed level (like 200%) and THEN use the Snapshot tool to grab the image.

I actually figured out the zoom AFTER selection playing around with it again last night; before I was zooming and then doing a lot of manipulation to get to what I wanted to select. Much easier the other way. I still crash Adobe Reader with large images, so the next time I want to do something like this I'll try Ergomanic's approach.

Thanks to both

John

just received and am using a PN-20 and TOPO 6 pulled some hairs out getting it to accept western 1/2 's of Oregon and Washington, then went out yesterday and found two caches, the accuracy and route helps were excellent. You will find however that you MUST jump through some hoops :D to load the waypoints.

just received and am using a PN-20 and TOPO 6 pulled some hairs out getting it to accept western 1/2 's of Oregon and Washington, then went out yesterday and found two caches, the accuracy and route helps were excellent. You will find however that you MUST jump through some hoops :) to load the waypoints.

Hoops? Pretty straight forward. What kind of issues are you having?

Oh, I'm down to second the PN-20 for the needs you have.

just received and am using a PN-20 and TOPO 6 pulled some hairs out getting it to accept western 1/2 's of Oregon and Washington, then went out yesterday and found two caches, the accuracy and route helps were excellent. You will find however that you MUST jump through some hoops :) to load the waypoints.

I had to down load the waypoints from Swiss army knife to a gpx file , import into TOPO 6 and then save as GPX and load into the PN-20. I am courious how many way points can be loaded into the PN-20

I had to down load the waypoints from Swiss army knife to a gpx file , import into TOPO 6 and then save as GPX and load into the PN-20. I am courious how many way points can be loaded into the PN-20

I Import from GSAK to Topo USA and then to the PN-20 not many hoops at all IMO.

As of right now the PN-20 can hold 1,000 waypoints (we are hoping at some point in time, they will allow the waypoints to be stored on the SD card).

As of right now the PN-20 can hold 1,000 waypoints (we are hoping at some point in time, they will allow the waypoints to be stored on the SD card).

Let me chime in that although the PN-20 will handle a thousand waypoint file, a large number of waypoints bogs it down whenever it has to spend the time sorting the list. I stay happy by keeping the file size down to several hundred. (I'll be happier when I can carry a couple of these smaller file waypoint files on the SD card so I can swap 'em in and out of active memory).

Hello all,

Thanx,

rash

I hunt alot too and I love my Garmin 76CSx. I have TOPO 2008 loaded ant the detail is great. It is 1:100,000 I wish it were 1:24,000 but it is still really good. It has most of the roads and adding wps is easy. there is enough text in the wp file to let em remember which one is which. I use National Geographic TOPO! to plan my trips and all of my data easily loads to it. I have not figured out how to draw fencelines. I dont think you can.

Let me chime in that although the PN-20 will handle a thousand waypoint file, a large number of waypoints bogs it down whenever it has to spend the time sorting the list. I stay happy by keeping the file size down to several hundred. (I'll be happier when I can carry a couple of these smaller file waypoint files on the SD card so I can swap 'em in and out of active memory).

True and good point about not having 1,000 waypoints in there at the same time. One reason, I think, is that you can put so much information in the comment field (256 characters) that it will slow it down a bit. It really makes it nice to have all that room in the comment field=paperless caching for me :) I have about 300 waypoints in my PN-20 right now and I don't really notice that much, if any, difference in speed when searching for a waypoint.

<snip> I have not figured out how to draw fencelines. I dont think you can.

Yup - you can.

As pointed out above, the easiest way is to trace them in Google Earth, export that to KML, convert KML->GPX or Garmin's GDB with either GPSBabel or even Garmin Communicator-enabled sites like http://www.takitwithme.com/ge2gps.html, then import that (GPX or GDB) into Mapsource as a track, and upload it into your GPS.

This all sounds confusing, but it's pretty straight forward.

For the next level of complexity, refer to my post above about pulling in the state WIHA maps into Mapsource as new maps, not as simple lines (tracks).

-RenHoek