Extended cache waypoint classification system

DENelson83

I'm not sure if this kind of thing has been considered here yet, but if you always want to know the characteristics of a geocache you're searching for, without having to fumble with programs that help you out with this, I suggest encoding the properties of the cache right in the ID of the waypoint on your GPS receiver. I came up with a system that allows one to do just that. Note that this only works if your GPS receiver can handle waypoint IDs of up to twelve characters.

After the proper GC***** waypoint ID, add a space and then a four-character string that encodes the cache properties.

The first character encodes the cache type:

• T = Traditional
  • M = Multi-stage
  • P = Mystery/puzzle
  • H = Letterbox hybrid (letter chosen so as not to conflict with L for large size)
  • E = Event
  • C = CITO

Second character is the cache size:

• U = Micro (letter chosen so as not to conflict with M for multi)
  • S = Small
  • R = Regular
  • L = Large
  • O = Other
  • N = Not listed

Third character is the difficulty rating:

• 0 = Unknown
  • 1 = 1/5
  • 2 = 1.5/5
  • 3 = 2/5
  • 4 = 2.5/5
  • 5 = 3/5
  • 6 = 3.5/5
  • 7 = 4/5
  • 8 = 4.5/5
  • 9 = 5/5

Last character is the terrain rating, and follows the same scheme as the difficulty rating.

So for example, for GC10GW1, "A Criminal Education," the extended waypoint ID would be "GC10GW1 PN41".

Whaddaya all think?

Many of us already use something close to that. I use GSAK to alter my cache waypoint, dropping the GC and reoplacing it with the type and size. For example if GC12345 is a traditional, small sized cache with a difficulty of 2 and terrain of 1 , it becomes TS12345 21. Half difficulty/ terrain stars letters. 1-1, 1-5=a, 2=2, 2.5=b, etc...

As another example if GC54321 is a multi, regular size with a difficulty of 2.5 and terrain of 3 it becomes MR54321 B3.

I know many geocachers who use this method.

All my waypoints are loaded manuly.

I use different icons to show different types of caches.

? For a point you have to answer questions rather than find a container

Cache box when looking for fianl cache with log book

Camera when you have photo clues to find cache

Car obvously for carparking

Dot for waypoint where I am looking for a waypoint/container to lead me to the next stage.

Had not thought to take it any further as far as container size is concerned (have very few digits available) but will look at it for the future.

I use the basic "drop 2" command in GSAK. I already know that all geocaches start with GC. As for all the other information, i'm not worried about it, because I can refer to my PDA if needed. Since I solve all puzzle caches, before downloading them to my GPS, there is no need to come up with a special description, waypoint code, and coords are sufficient for me.

Edited by Kit Fox