Feature request: Animated gif attachments

Kabuthunk

The idea came to me in another topic about images on caches. The idea that one could attach an animated gif, so that they could show multiple images in a "slideshow" type of manner.

That way, you could have a stop-motion type of "silent video" of the entire caching process! Take a pic every 5 minutes or whatever, from when you're sitting at your computer looking at the geocaching page, to snapping the leash onto yonder puppy, hopping in the car, and going caching!

Sweet crap, the more I think about that, the more awesome the idea seems. I'd LOVE to watch a stop-motion type animated gif of people caching :o.

So yeah... just a thought to toss around. Not sure if it's been tossed around before, but I haven't seen it in my various messageboarding anyway.

It would be too easy for someone to include something nasty that I don't want to see.

NO, THANKS!

one could argue that they could include something nasty in a link to a photobucket slideshow too... but that's besides the point.

But yeah, I could see random troublemakers having whatever picture... giving it a delay of 45 seconds or so, and have it flash for a half-second something stupid.

Then again, every system can be abused... so it's just a matter of how much you want to trade versatility for abuse potential. If worried, one could open the .gif file in whatever animating program to view each individual frame... and given the max filesize shouldn't change from the 125k, it can't really be too terribly many. The problem with that however is that some programs don't like to open up some .gif files (or maybe I just had a shabby program... which is a distinct possibility).

But yeah... linking to a video on youtube (assuming you save it and put it in a video format) would be the best current method... since other free-hosting sites are typically ad-riddled with popups. And even if people have a popup blocker... some people don't... and I don't like annoying people with unnecessary ads :D.

Also, if whatever site it's hosted on goes down, changes, or is just slow as molasses running uphill (the latter being the most common or likely)... you're pretty much up the creek. If it were held on geocaching, then at least it's guaranteed to load as fast as the page itself.

But yeah... looking at both sides of the coin... I don't forsee 'abuse' as being too much to worry about... because the second anyone notices it, it can be reported, and the person banned/dealt with as needed. After all... if someone does something inappropriate or wrong... what they did can always be undone easily, either by the cache-owner or an admin... much the same way with inappropriate logs. So in that respect... the 'potential for abuse' factor is eliminated due to it being treated in the exact same nature as inappropriate logs.

Don't mind my rambling... I work it through better in my mind when I see my thoughts on screen :(

But yeah... I'll still stick with voting for animated gifs, given the whole 'cache owner can delete it' thing :cry: