Garmin Legend HCx - moved cache to wrong coordinates

Casper29

I looked through the posts and couldn't find anything relating to this particular question. Any help that an experienced cacher or GPSr user could provide is much appreciated.

OK, so I went to find a cache tonight with my hubby and 18 month old daughter. I read the logs for the cache and it seemed like a pretty easy grab. Very few DNFs. Granted, this would have been my first actual find if I had the darn coordinates correct. I've used the "download coordinates to GPS" feature with my GPS from the geocaching.com page. I have the proper datum selected and my hubby has found two caches out at previous locations while I was with. So I know it will get us to the right spot.

I am using the Geocaching mode and am selecting "go to" so I get an arrow to follow to the little treasure chest icon. Trouble is that when I've been tinkering with the GPSr lately and looking at all the various treasure chests to open - I may have somehow accidentally moved them on the screen using the rocker button!

Is there any way to "undo" a move like that once it's done? What am I doing wrong that I could move the cache point so easily? Any ideas to keep that from happening? It seems like it happened so easily - it should be set that once you download cache coordinates - you shouldn't be able to just move the coordinates around all willy nilly.

I know it is likely user error, but I tell ya, when I got home and double checked coordinates, and they weren't correct, I was pretty ticked. The same thing happened to me yesterday while trying to cache at lunchtime. I checked after I got back to work and they coords were off for that one, too. I'm afraid I'll have to delete and then re-download all the caches or double check all the coords before I head out.

Any suggestions??

I'm really trying to get into this as a nice outdoor activity to enjoy myself and with my family, and I keep coming up empty handed. And now that the coords are off - it seems hopeless at times.

Thanks - Casper29

I am pretty sure you can't "move" the icons on the map screen in the way you describe.

Just so we know for sure - tell us in detail what makes you think the coords are wrong. Show us the coords in your GPS and the coords of the cache you were seeking. I suspect I know what is going on....

Aah! I already deleted the incorrect/moved ones in my GPS - and downloaded "correct" coords.

The reason I thought I was moving them is because when I had a corner of the little treasure icon highlighed, the word "move" appeared. I've tried to replicate tonight, and I'm not having any luck.

What're you thinking as a possibility?

Thanks!

The site shows coordinates in the WGS-84 datum. I think you have that correct.

The site displays coordinates in the decimal minute format: DDD MM.mmm

My guess is that you were looking at a different format on the GPS - same spot just looks a bit different.

Somethink like Decimal degrees: DDD.ddddd

OR

Degrees minutes and seconds: DDD MM SS

While those all display different numbers they all can show the same spot. When you transfer them from the site to your GPS - they go over ok but may simply display a different format.

I have it set with the right setup DDD MM.mmm. But even if the GPS showed as a different coordinate reading, wouldn't the "go to" feature still bring me to the right location? Regardless of how the coordinates showed up?

I went home and redownloaded the "moved" cache points on my gpsr and now they match up exactly. I want to say the last 3 digits didn't match up for both north and west (?)... so it seems I was about 100 feet from where I should have been looking.

So strange, don't you think?

-Casper29

I am pretty sure you can't "move" the icons on the map screen in the way you describe.

Oh but you CAN! Just as described. I've had that happen to me before too using my Garmin GPSMap 60. Just have to be careful because there isn't any way to undo it. You just have to go back and get the correct coordinates from the web page.

Aah! I already deleted the incorrect/moved ones in my GPS - and downloaded "correct" coords.

The reason I thought I was moving them is because when I had a corner of the little treasure icon highlighed, the word "move" appeared. I've tried to replicate tonight, and I'm not having any luck.

What're you thinking as a possibility?

Thanks!

Yes, you can move them around on the map screen. I've done it myself, more than a few times, And there's no "undo" button, so that one's pretty much hosed until you can reload it.

Thanks! At least I'm not going crazy.

Any advice for how to NOT have the waypoints moved? Is there a disable feature?

I'm not even really sure how I did it...

Well, either way, I now know it's possible to do this - so I'll have to try to be more careful when tinkering about.

Thanks all who responded!