New Area Map: Impossible to see location of lots of caches at once

grammyolie

Yikes! We can no longer print an area map and see the location of all the caches we want to visit without a TON of work. We used to find the area we wanted, and print screen the map with the right legend with the name of the cache. Then we'd print the cache pages and off we go. I can't see any way to do this at all!!! We really, really want our old maps back! It is a ton of work to click on each cache to see which one it is.

Or, we used to go to a location on the map when looking for a cache, and then you could just scan the right side to see the cache names. Now you have to hover over each one. This is really a lot more work.

Agreed! This totally breaks the way that I do caching. Although some of the features might be nice, the fundemental ability to see what the caches are without moving the mouse is gone!

How do others handle this? do you not print maps? This was so handy. We have a whole book of area maps with caches printed so that we can just get up and go if we want to.

HELP!!!!!! :mad:

I have to agree, the new Google Maps if VERY user UNFRIENDLY :mad: . I was shocked to see it this morning since I had just used the older version last night.

With the old map, it was nice to be able to view the entire list on the right, with the icon of what type of cache it was. It was also nice to be able to scan the mouse over a cache and have it highlighted on the map.

I also would copy the Map & List and print it off. It was great because since the caches were numbered you knew exactly which cache was which on the map.

PLEASE BRING BACK THE OLD MAP!

Thanks.

Of course map issues are especially critical to my caching as I don't use a GPS, but it looks to me as if the folks that make the map decisions on the site are not really interested in using maps for geocaching and thus do not fully understand the impact of the changes they make. The whole cache page google map episode awhile back is a good illustration. I have been downloading regular google maps of areas I want to cover, then manually marking the cache locations on them in a size that does not obscure the detail of the map itself for route planning; then getting an aerial photo of each individual location for the actual search. Yes it would be nice to have this all on one site, but I have found that it is best for me to get my maps from a site that better suits my needs.

Yeah, the new map doesn't seem as intuitive as the old one---I liked how easy it was to use the legend in managing bookmarks. Actually the bookmarking / mapping thing was how I mainly used the site! I do like how the map's huge now though. I don't really think I'd use the checkboxes---maybe if others don't too, that feature can be an option interchangeable with the legend.

The inconveniences notwithstanding, thanks for thinkin' of us & making changes to try and help the site work better (seriously, I'm not being sarcastic).

Of course map issues are especially critical to my caching as I don't use a GPS, but it looks to me as if the folks that make the map decisions on the site are not really interested in using maps for geocaching and thus do not fully understand the impact of the changes they make. The whole cache page google map episode awhile back is a good illustration. I have been downloading regular google maps of areas I want to cover, then manually marking the cache locations on them in a size that does not obscure the detail of the map itself for route planning; then getting an aerial photo of each individual location for the actual search. Yes it would be nice to have this all on one site, but I have found that it is best for me to get my maps from a site that better suits my needs.

On second though, after having actually now used the new bookmarking method, I like it. Especially as now I know that once I've tried to bookmark, it's there (as opposed to the old system where it sometimes missed my clicks & didn't bookmark). Oh I'm so indecisive!

Yikes! We can no longer print an area map and see the location of all the caches we want to visit without a TON of work. We used to find the area we wanted, and print screen the map with the right legend with the name of the cache. Then we'd print the cache pages and off we go. I can't see any way to do this at all!!! We really, really want our old maps back! It is a ton of work to click on each cache to see which one it is.

Or, we used to go to a location on the map when looking for a cache, and then you could just scan the right side to see the cache names. Now you have to hover over each one. This is really a lot more work.

Agreed! This totally breaks the way that I do caching. Although some of the features might be nice, the fundemental ability to see what the caches are without moving the mouse is gone!

How do others handle this? do you not print maps? This was so handy. We have a whole book of area maps with caches printed so that we can just get up and go if we want to.

HELP!!!!!! :mad:

I have to agree, the new Google Maps if VERY user UNFRIENDLY :( . I was shocked to see it this morning since I had just used the older version last night.

With the old map, it was nice to be able to view the entire list on the right, with the icon of what type of cache it was. It was also nice to be able to scan the mouse over a cache and have it highlighted on the map.

I also would copy the Map & List and print it off. It was great because since the caches were numbered you knew exactly which cache was which on the map.

PLEASE BRING BACK THE OLD MAP!

Thanks.

Add us to the list! Total agreement with the above posts and comments!!

Ditto to all of the above. We relied on this function to print area maps and listings - now it is only useful online & we have never brought our computer out with us in the woods. Please change it back or at least maintain the old functionality. This is really bad timing for us because we were gearing up for a tournament this weekend & now we can't get the info that we need. :mad:

here's my issue with the new mapping...it freezes up quite often while scrolling around :mad: , and it won't show caches if you're zoomed out to an area larger than 15 miles. with the old version I could zoom out way far and see all the caches in a remote area. I can't do this anymore. :(

I do like that you can see all the caches in a populated area without limits...as long as you're zoomed out no farther than 15 miles

I could not have said it better.

I really hate the new map it stuff. I go to a lot of remote areas where I work and it was easy to move around but the new map has trouble showing the caches and seems to lock up a lot. I was going out this afternoon and was going to do some geocaching but can't now because the map won't show more than fifteen miles radius. So much for geocaching today. The new maps make me really unhappy! :mad: