eXplorist 210 woes did I make a mistake

dmoes

I am new to the GPS thing. I am a scape and nature photographer and got tired of seeing a great photo opportunity in my travels and then unable to the spot back when the light is good and have the camera in hand. GPS seems like a great solution.

I bought a Magellan eXplorist 210 and like the unit itself. It works well and seems to be a solid build and should fullfil my needs. apperantly it can even interface with my nikon d200 camera and stamp the coodinates into the photo file data (exif) although I doubt I will ever use this Nikon wants $$$ for the adapter. I also got it because I just like gadgets.

but.......

The basemap is seriosly lacking detail in Canada compared to the USA. I live in Ontario. Is this also true for the Direct route or Topo softwares?

No Vista drivers

Tech support told me I must use XP or 2000 and offered no hope of vista drivers to come. My computer came with vista and I see no reason to change it just for magellan. I guess that File transfer will work the way it is so will I be able to upload maps from mapsend? will I realy need Vista drivers?

can't unlock the software

Says that there Ecommerse site is in the process of upgrades and online purchases are not available untill aug 14th. I hope they don't extend the date. This is just a frustration for me and a marketing blunder for them.

would I be better to return it (I have 30 days) and get something else or should I hold out and hope that Magellan gets their act together.

The basemap is seriosly lacking detail in Canada compared to the USA. I live in Ontario. Is this also true for the Direct route or Topo softwares?

I can only comment on TOPO 3D USA, but it was a massive improvement over the basemap. I have a 210 also. It not only had all the great topo information I needed, but also included every local road, even our Forest Service roads. Not knocking Garmin, but their topo maps I have viewed, actually had less road information than the Magellan maps. See my thread inquiring about this:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=170373

No Vista drivers

Tech support told me I must use XP or 2000 and offered no hope of vista drivers to come. My computer came with vista and I see no reason to change it just for magellan. I guess that File transfer will work the way it is so will I be able to upload maps from mapsend? will I realy need Vista drivers?

From what I have gathered on these forums, there is a basic work-around, but that some features still don't work. I am getting a Vista laptop this week actually, and have posted and searched about this very topic. I'm not holding my breathe for a release/update. I'll probably test my 210 on the new laptop, but I have a feeling I'll be buying a Garmin in the next few weeks.

can't unlock the software

Says that there Ecommerse site is in the process of upgrades and online purchases are not available untill aug 14th. I hope they don't extend the date. This is just a frustration for me and a marketing blunder for them.

I'm sorry, I purchased my software long ago, and don't recall any type of activation more than typing the code on the box when prompted by the software.

would I be better to return it (I have 30 days) and get something else or should I hold out and hope that Magellan gets their act together.

Since I have a 210 and TOPO 3D USA, I'm hoping for an update, but as I said earlier, I have a good feeling I'll be moving to Garmin. Even with Magellan's new Triton product line, they'll have to prove to me there are going to support their products. So basically that means I'll either stick with my 210 (and use an old computer maybe) or go Garmin. But I will not be investing any more money into Magellan. It will take a whole product line cycle to earn me back as a customer. Unless they release Vista drivers tomorrow! :blink:

If I were in your shoes, with no real investment yet, I would return the 210 and go with a product that you know has Vista support.

If I were in your shoes, with no real investment yet, I would return the 210 and go with a product that you know has Vista support.

looking at the fun toys on the Garmin site I am thinking that I will bring back the 210 and go with garmin. what I need is about the same cost but what I want is ... well a bit more.

Dang time to hide the Visa bill again :blink: .

Does such a thing exist?

Norm

My understanding (I have not tested this personally though) is that Garmin does. There may be others too, I just haven't researched other companies.

Maybe dmoes should find out for sure if Garmin is Vista compatible. Since he's in the position of a new buyer and the ability to return, he could test it out without much worry.

Edited by symbiont7

looking at the fun toys on the Garmin site I am thinking that I will bring back the 210 and go with garmin. what I need is about the same cost but what I want is ... well a bit more.

Dang time to hide the Visa bill again :blink: .

I don't want to sound anti-210, I actually think the 210 is a quality GPSr, sure there are a few quirks I do not like, but overall I've been happy with it. Don't base your decision just off of my crazy opinion! :blink: Unfortunately, Magellan doesn't seem to be Vista friendly right now, hence my opinion. I've done a bit of research, but have not tested it for myself. Once I get my new Vista laptop, I'll certainly test everything to see for myself if I'll get the same problems as others.

And from what I've read here, Garmin seems to run well with Vista, but once again, I haven't tested this personally.

I'm sure you'd be happy with either if they were bug free and Vista compatible. But as I said, that doesn't seem to be the case ATM.

Edited by symbiont7

Echo...

I have a 210 and I've been satisfied with it, but I just tried to use it with my new Vista laptop, and it was not pretty. Works great with XP, and I didn't try much research into a work-around for Vista, but I can tell you my next gpsr will absolutely be a Garmin, maybe the new Legend Hcx I think it's called.

Based on months of reading negative posts about Magellen tech (non)support, and my own struggles with them, I would say take it back.

AS far as the unlock codes. if the softwate was package with the GPS It would be cheaper to just but the software by itself, That is how I bought my Topo3D. When you buy an unlock code from Magellan they charge you the sug. retail prioce for the software. When you purchase stand alone software it is already unlocked.

:unsure: Dmoes,

I share your disappointment/consternation. I am upgrading from my Garmin Geko, which is a wonderfully simple and intuitive, but limited unit to use.

I compared the Garmin Legend and the Explorist 201 and it was an "on-paper no-brainer" however, my 201 is not compatible with Vista, and some foreigne guy on the phone named Andrew (right) could not give me specificis about an update.

Well, at least I have the basics covered with this unit:

excellent reception

intuitive (after practice) menu navigation

long battery life (with lithium though no documtation recommends them)

Mapping capability (yeah right)

I found this in the press release for re VantagePoint

In addition to Triton, VantagePoint is compatible with the Magellan eXplorist™ 210, 400, 500, and 600 outdoor GPS devices.

Well that's somewhat good news. I assume VantagePoint is Vista compatible, but I really would just like some drivers and a software update so I can use what I presently have. I do understand that products don't offer unlimited updates to changing technology (new OS's/hardware), but I also think that new drivers and software updates would be a great way to show concern and care for customers, and not really be that costly to produce.

Thanks all for the input

After returning the Magelan 210 I bought the Garmin etrex Vista HCx its truly more expensive and has plenty more bells and whistles, colour and I like it. I even can get a good fix inside my house. the 210 could not lock onto any sats inside. I hope that this means it will do well in dense tree cover.

as for the Vista's Vista compatability I had troubles using the software from the CD but then used the upgrade under the help menu and the upgrade seems to have solved the problems. as for the drivers While upgrading I did see a reference specifying to their being windows vista compatable

I then installed the Topo Canada and it downgraded Mapsource and I had to do the upgrades again it didnt however seem to effect the drivers.

There is a beta version for the mapsource that is windows vista only (not compatible with XP) this scares me that perhapse they are going to far. I would think however that the 98 -xp versions will remain available. I did try the Beta version however it seems to have some bugs to be ironed out.

I know its a late post - but I LOVE my 210. No probs with it yet. The maps issue isn't an issue for me - because I NEVER use. No need. Even in unfamiliar areas - the compass screen works for getting me where I am going. Actually - I wish I could set it up whereby I never had to see the maps screen.

What I like best - AWESOME reception under heavy tree cover here in WV. Good luck with your new unit!