Another n00b "Which GPS to get" question

THE_Chris

Ok so I really want to get into this whole geocaching malarkey. :) I've found one cache near me without a GPS, but feel its time to actually buy one to find more.

Trouble is, I'm utterly, utterly lost as to which one to buy. I'm seeing reviews everywhere, personal preferences everywhere and loads of other information and I'm bogged down. I've been looking at various Garmin machines, but cant decide at all what to get. Done a fair bit of research but cant decide. Maybe this site needs a "Which GPS to get" FAQ??? :blink:

I'm just looking for something basic.

Preferably with a USB connection for easy waypoint transfer from the PC.

Has Geocaching mode

Not too worried about satnav for cars, I usually know where I'm going anyway and if not I work it out myself :unsure:

Something that doesnt cost a fortune (ideally less than $200 )

Suggestions would be appreciated.

---------------

Also, if anyone could list US etc stores that carry GPS units, that ship to Europe, that would be great. Its crazy, I'm looking at the Garmin 60 on an American site for $132 and its equivalent price on an online shop where I am (Ireland) is $323 :blink:

I'm another newbie too. I've been caching all of 3 days. I bought a Magellan Explorist 210 and love it. The software is easy to use, gpsr is great in terms of ease of use, accuracy, and battery life. I looked on the net and and tried to find a steal of a price for the unit. My impatience won out and I went to Wal-Mart. Paid $149.99 for the unit and started caching an hour later. Just my $.02 for what it's worth. Good luck!

I'm another newbie too. I've been caching all of 3 days. I bought a Magellan Explorist 210 and love it. The software is easy to use, gpsr is great in terms of ease of use, accuracy, and battery life. I looked on the net and and tried to find a steal of a price for the unit. My impatience won out and I went to Wal-Mart. Paid $149.99 for the unit and started caching an hour later. Just my $.02 for what it's worth. Good luck!

That's good to hear your report on the eXplorist 210, awestberry. I'm new, too, and researching. Have a friend in KY who's neighbor bought one and loves it. Think a trip to Wally World is in order tomorrow to look one over. Thanks

You could look for an Explortist 400. Lots of nice features, including mapping, USB cable, and other cool stuff. If you go to Costco you can find the Explorist 400 Ultimate package deal for less than $200 and comes with some software and other goodies.

I like mine so far.

I'm slightly restricted with what I can get given that theres very few places that deliver to Ireland thesedays, so I plumped for the Garmin GPS 60. Should do me for now, and I can always eBay it and get a better model once I use this for a bit.

Will let ye know how I get on with it when it arrives :blink:

Arrived yesterday :D

So far, thanks to pouring rain, its registered only a walking distance of 99ft, which was from the garden to indoors as I was soaked. Hooking up to the computer was easy, and there is now every geocache within 40 miles easily uploaded.

Love this thing, will give more results as I get geocaching with it :P Need to find some maps for it too, as it only comes with city locations.

When I'm more used to it, I might write a guide as this seems to me to be the ideal GPS to get into Geocaching.

Arrived yesterday :P

So far, thanks to pouring rain, its registered only a walking distance of 99ft, which was from the garden to indoors as I was soaked. Hooking up to the computer was easy, and there is now every geocache within 40 miles easily uploaded.

Love this thing, will give more results as I get geocaching with it :D Need to find some maps for it too, as it only comes with city locations.

When I'm more used to it, I might write a guide as this seems to me to be the ideal GPS to get into Geocaching.

Unfortunately the GPS 60 does not accept maps. You would have needed the Map 60 or one of the better eTrex models for mapping.

I just got a Garmin GPSMap 60c and it is great. Routes very easily, uploads maps quite well and EdgeGPS.com had it for $155 on EBay. They are very easy to deal with and ship EXACTLY what they show. I have yet to go Caching with it, but plan to this coming weekend. I have a Garmin ETrx for my two boys to learn on, and I also have a Garmin IQue 3600 PDA that I use daily in my car for guidance. The Garmins seem to be a bit smaller and easier to handle to me than the Magellans.

As you can see, I like Garmin. The Magellans look nice, but I have not used them at all, so I cannot speak to their ease of use.

Being as this is my first post, and I don't even have a cache under my belt, take this for what it's worth. :lol: