Placing first cache

BillW

Well, I'm not the worlds most experienced - with only one cache to my name - but knowing the owner of the land, and having an email address for them is a big start. On the GAGB website is a grovelling nice polite standard form letter that you can customise to your own purposes. That's what I did and it worked!

Good luck <_<

On the GAGB website is a grovelling nice polite standard form letter that you can customise to your own purposes.

Thanks, Good spotting, I missed that. (Sounds like my usual caching comment)

I've e-mailed it off so now I guess just wait and see <_<

Looks promising :D

Bill - thanks for your e mail. I am aware of geocaching and initially do not have any major concerns about this. I will have a brief chat with our legal team about this and come back to you but I do not envisage any major problems.

We would require you to contact each of our individual site managers for advice on placing caches as there are inevitably anomolies in sites - eg. leased land which may have its own conditions, seasonal flooding of various locations, temporary restrictions on access with regard to breeding, scheduled large scale felling operations etc.

Stockton Borough Council has a number of sites including three Country Parks, a number of urban parks and a range of Local Nature Reserves. I would initially intend to restrict this activity to outlying areas of the Country Parks and try to avoid drawing attention to people leaving designated access routes to access parts of our sites.

Regards,

David Askey

Looks promising ;)

Bill - thanks for your e mail. I am aware of geocaching and initially do not have any major concerns about this. I will have a brief chat with our legal team about this and come back to you but I do not envisage any major problems.

We would require you to contact each of our individual site managers for advice on placing caches as there are inevitably anomolies in sites - eg. leased land which may have its own conditions, seasonal flooding of various locations, temporary restrictions on access with regard to breeding, scheduled large scale felling operations etc.

Stockton Borough Council has a number of sites including three Country Parks, a number of urban parks and a range of Local Nature Reserves. I would initially intend to restrict this activity to outlying areas of the Country Parks and try to avoid drawing attention to people leaving designated access routes to access parts of our sites.

Regards,

David Askey

Hi

When placing caches on behalf of ‘granthamscouts’ I hade to negotiate with some landowners and the large concerns such as Councils can be a bit of a problem, because the bureaucrats get involved. Just don’t be put off if they come back with a whole list of ‘legal’ concerns and the good old favourite of ‘Health & Safety’, which is so often an excuse for ‘I can’t be bothered to see what is really required’. Keep at them if at first you don’t succeed.

If it is a local authority that you are dealing with, you can point them at the example of those authorities that have been helpful (see GAGB website).

Best of luck...

:D

Things looking good.

It may be that the first cache is places with the local ranger. Any experienced plastic hiders want to volunteer to undertake this mission? Not something I'd like to do, having no experience.

Nothing firm yet, but if you are interested in placing a cache in Billingham beck park, please let me know.

reaaly nothing to it, just have a cache made up ready. meet up with the ranger and chat they are human and enjoy being outside so they might just like the hobby.

then betweeen you find a suitable location to place a cache. they will just want to make sure that it isn't going to cause any problems. the times i've done this it's been fine and a nice chat on the way.

:laughing: