Is my eTrex Legend on it's last legs?

Over the past month, my Legend (blue) has been acting up. The first problem was when I'd disconnect the power cord from the car adaptor, the unit would randomly initiate the shutdown mode (20 second timer) repetitively in the field while walking to a cache. I had to keep watching it and hitting a button so it wouldn't shut itself off. It bugged us all day with that problem.

Yesterday, we were out doing a 26 cache run along an approx. 10 mile stretch of highway near Charlotte. About halfway through the run, the GPS was telling us the next cache we were looking for was over 8 miles away! In reality, it was approx. 1/2 mile. The GPSr was connected via the power cord to the cig lighter in my truck and we had a good signal. It was just giving us zany distance from cache readings. We also replaced the batteries in the GPSr.

Any ideas?

Edited by Stripes17

We are having a similar problem with ours. It would just shut down while we were on the trail. We had a small battery leak and it seemed to work a little better after new batteries and cleaning the contacts with some rubbing alcohol. It did it again this weekend when ai put it on the clip board face down.

Garmin wants $99 to take a look and fix. Seems a little expensive for a unit that only cost us about $150. We will continue to use it until it really becomes a PITA them probably just get a more powerful unit.

Over the past month, my Legend (blue) has been acting up. The first problem was when I'd disconnect the power cord from the car adaptor, the unit would randomly initiate the shutdown mode (20 second timer) repetitively in the field while walking to a cache. I had to keep watching it and hitting a button so it wouldn't shut itself off. It bugged us all day with that problem.

Yesterday, we were out doing a 26 cache run along an approx. 10 mile stretch of highway near Charlotte. About halfway through the run, the GPS was telling us the next cache we were looking for was over 8 miles away! In reality, it was approx. 1/2 mile. The GPSr was connected via the power cord to the cig lighter in my truck and we had a good signal. It was just giving us zany distance from cache readings. We also replaced the batteries in the GPSr.

Any ideas?

My Legend CX goes goofy when I plug it into the car adapter. It has me wondering all over the place but near where I am at. I found I need to shut it off and turn it back on without unplugging the adapter. After getting a fix it works properly. When I called Garmin they ask if it was difficult to plug in the car adapter and ask if my cable to my computer worked properly. I never pursued it farther but I think there is a problem with the car adapter, my car adapter is difficult to plug in and unplug, the computer cable plugs in easily.