Bug etiquette

seattlegeekgrrrlz

I am looking for some second (third, fourth, ...whatever) opinions on whether or not to "educate" another cacher, and if so what to say.

The setup:

I dropped a TB in a cache yesterday afternoon, but was unable to get online to log the drop until this morning. ( What can I say - we actually had plans on a Friday night :o ) When I got online, another cacher had already "grabbed" the bug. I was a little annoyed, since I think it is generally good etiquette to give someone a reasonable amount of time to log the drop. I started to compose an email to said cacher, but everything I could think of came out too snarky - probably due to my annoyance.

The questions:

Should I drop a note to the cacher, or just let the matter drop? They only have 65 finds - if that makes a difference. Not that we are sooo much more experienced.

If I were to drop a note, anyone got any suggestions for some nice diplomatic language?

Thanks everyone! I did do a little search because I think this topic has been covered before, but the search parameters I used weren't getting me much. So - special thanks if this topic has already been covered many times and I just couldn't find it. :D

Hey, I see you grabbed the bug I dropped yesterday. Unfortunately, I was not able to get online right away and log that I had dropped it in the cache. Since you have already grabbed it, could you log it into the cache you found it in and grab it back? This way, the bug gets credit for visiting that cache. Thanks.

I know this has been hashed out a lot of times before as well. The only complaint I have is when someone takes several days to log the bug. I went to the midwest geobash, and picked up a couple of bugs from caches in the area. Not only had they not been dropped in those caches, but they hadn't been picked up out of several other caches before I found them. I was stuck with the bugs waiting for whoever had them before to drop them into the cache I got them from, and then I could pick them up, and THEN I could place them in another cache.

I guess it would be ok to grab it, drop it in the cache it was found it, and then grab it from that cache, but it seems like it would be a lot easier to just log the TB ASAP. One day I can see - I waited a week for one... that seems excessive.

... - I waited a week for one... that seems excessive.

How long are your vacations?

That I'm out of contact with the internet? A day or two at most - no matter where I go, I always have access to it. I don't have a family or significant other, but I do see your point.