Puzzle caches

I've got to find 3 puzzle caches to get the coordinates for a 4th, which contains the other half of TB coordinates to find the ultimate cache. Tried Googling it, but looked like I needed a Doctorate degree in math to decipher what the heck they were talking about. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :lol:

From the information you provided, the only suggestion I can give is, get a Doctorate degree in math (or find someone who has one).

We'll need more details, but without specifics to the cache. That's generally considered bad form. General puzzle help is fine. Telling us what you Googled for would be a big help.

I've got to find 3 puzzle caches to get the coordinates for a 4th, which contains the other half of TB coordinates to find the ultimate cache. Tried Googling it, but looked like I needed a Doctorate degree in math to decipher what the heck they were talking about. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :anitongue:

With this general of a plea, the best help I can give is to keep in mind what you are looking for.... That is, you are looking for coordinates. Furthermore, you know that the coords are within 2mi of posted coords. This mean that you should have a pretty good idea what the first few digits of the cache are + or - a minute. Now, go forth and solve.... :laughing:

joe

Won't have time to get my Doctorate, and what fun is it if I take the easy way out and wander around within 2 miles of the cache ? So here goes.. as general as possible...The title of the cache is 5 words, each word in the title stands for a letter, and then each letter stands for a number in order to complete the coordinates for the cache. The hint given is that "Every" equals 3.

2nd puzzle problem: Start out at a number, any number, and end at the number 4 . Have to solve for different numbers this way.

3rd puzzle: N= R, D

U= D,R,R

M= D,R,D, D

L= D, D

C= D,R,D,D,L

Need to come up with number substitutes for NUMLCC

Is there a specific name for these kind of puzzles and where's a good place to start looking. My plan is to find each and everyone of them tomorrow, without stopping for food or water :anitongue:

With a puzzle like the first, my first instinct is the number of the first letter; second would be the Roman numerals in the word. But given the hint, neither of these works (E=5, and V is the only Roman numeral, which would also equal 5). It could be that the number equals the number of consonants (or vowels, depending what you call 'y').

I'm not clear on the second. And I'm stumped on the third. Both might be clearer in the context of the cache page. Look for unusual words in the cache title or text -- people often include the name of the type of cipher they used on the page somewhere.

Good luck!

Edit to add:

what fun is it if I take the easy way out and wander around within 2 miles of the cache ?

What Car54 meant was, you can use the posted coordinates to get a pretty good idea of what the answer to the puzzle should be. You can forget about possible solutions that give you coordinates far from what's posted. It's a lot easier to think of ways to change a word to a number when you know what that number is. Having a piece of the unencrypted answer is the key to code breaking.

I have an idea on the second one that has nothing to do with numbers. Not directly, anyway. I suspect there's more to that one.

Edited by Dinoprophet

Dinoprophet, I think you're right about the 2nd puzzle. Here's an example of one of the clues:

57 is 10, 10 is 3, 3 is 5, 5 is 4, and 4 is cosmic, I have to solve for 3 different numbers this way.

Thanks for your help and Car's too, never mind my humor :anitongue:

Interesting. However, I meant to say "I have an idea about the third puzzle" :laughing: Oops.

Edited by Dinoprophet