EasyGPS ain't easy (help please)

Mofino

:unsure: Hi everyone, I would really appreciate some help here. I have only been caching for about a week (love it and hopelessly addicted) and have been manually entering waypoints but want to start having the computer download waypoints to save time.

I downloaded EasyGPS and have my Garmin etrex legend connected via serial cable and turned on and the GPS shows up under "display GPS" in the GPS bar ontop of EasyGPS so I know I have a good connection. Settings are Com1 port with a speed of 9600. On the GPS I have Garmin selected in the interface menu in the settings.

I followed the directions to a T (I thought) and I figure I'm good to go to download a waypoint so I am on a cache page logged in and I click on LOC Waypoint file. It downloads and shows up on my desktop as a file with the name "guide=a8e24a09e041" with a bunch of other letters following.

As per the instructions I click open in EasyGPS and I get an open dialog box and navigate to the desktop and don't see the file anywhere.

Next I try and click "send to GPS" on the cache page and that takes me to a page that says "Can't get it to run? Try installing the latest plugin" which I do and try again and nada, nothing.

Again, the GPS is corredted to the computer properly and Easy GPS reads it with no errors and I download a file by clicking LOC waypoint file to my desktop but I can't get EasyGPS to find it and send it to my GPS.

I'm going in circles trying, thanks so much for any help!

Bob

Are you sure it is saving the LOC file as a LOC file on your PC?

I am not sure and that may very well be the problem. I figured if I click LOC Waypoint file that the file downloaded would be a LOC file. When I right click on the file on the desktop it just says "file" and does not have .LOC extention.

Hmmm, what would I have to do to make it an LOC file?

Thanks for the reply,

Bob

I am really not sure.

I dont use LOC files. Try it again and see if you can actually save as a LOC file or maybe it will save as an EasyGPS file. (Or maybe you can open directly in EasyGPS.)

For what it may be worth, EasyGPS is what i have used since i started caching and i have found it to be the easiest program to work with.

Edited by knight2000

I am really not sure.

I dont use LOC files. Try it again and see if you can actually save as a LOC file or maybe it will save as an EasyGPS file. (Or maybe you can open directly in EasyGPS.)

For what it may be worth, EasyGPS is what i have used since i started caching and i have found it to be the easiest program to work with.

When I download the LOC waypoint from geocaching.com I get a file on my desktop. It does not say it is a LOC file. Under properties it just says "file"...

I don't have a clue why it's not saving it as a LOC file.

Actually EasyGPS seems very simple and easy to use if I had the LOC file. The problem seems to be with the website in that when I press to download LOC waypoint file it downloads some other file type to my desktop.

How do I get the LOC file? Pressing download LOC waypoint does not work. It just downloads some other weird file.

Thanks so much for trying to help.

Bob

Easy GPS is easy breezy!! The problem was with my browser (Secure IE)...

When I switched to regular Internet Explorer it downloaded the LOC waypoints as .LOC files and opened them right up in EasyGPS. I could than send them to the GPS...

Woo-hoo!! I was almost gonna give up and just keep manually entering them but just like on a cache hunt or anything else good and worth it in life I just kept plugging along...

Thanks Knight2000 for trying to help. I do appreciate it.

Bob

Easy GPS is easy breezy!! The problem was with my browser (Secure IE)...

Some browsers append an aspx extension to loc files. I know older versions of Netscape (pre - 7.2) do and I've heard of others having issues with certain browsers. Current versions of IE and Firefox work fine.

For just $3.00 per month, you can get Pocket Queries, which have 500 caches in them. You can use EasyGPS to load all 500 in just a little bit more time than loading that single .loc file.

The .gpx files that the Pocket Queries contain, have a lot more information in them. If you have a PDA, you can have all the information with you in it so you can cache "paperless." :o

For just $3.00 per month, you can get Pocket Queries, which have 500 caches in them. You can use EasyGPS to load all 500 in just a little bit more time than loading that single .loc file.

The .gpx files that the Pocket Queries contain, have a lot more information in them. If you have a PDA, you can have all the information with you in it so you can cache "paperless." :lol:

Thanks. That sounds like a good way to go. With the pocket queries do you select which 500 caches you get or does it go by your location?

I'm getting tired of printing already. Been doing most of it at work...shhhh... :)

Bob

Thanks. That sounds like a good way to go. With the pocket queries do you select which 500 caches you get or does it go by your location?

I'm getting tired of printing already. Been doing most of it at work...shhhh... :lol:

Bob

You can get a max of 500 caches per query and up to 5 queries per day. (A lot.)

They can go by your home location or whatever coordinates, zip code, or cache that you would like.

There are other sorting features also. Going paperless is very nice. I probably wouldn't go if we had to print papers. Its too much work.

I downloaded EasyGPS and have my Garmin etrex legend connected via serial cable and turned on and the GPS shows up under "display GPS" in the GPS bar ontop of EasyGPS so I know I have a good connection. Settings are Com1 port with a speed of 9600. On the GPS I have Garmin selected in the interface menu in the settings.

The Garmin Etrex Legend has a USB connection NOT serial. Change the settings from Com1 to USB and you will be in business.

If this has already been suggested I apologize for the repeat.

Jamesonsdad

You can get a max of 500 caches per query and up to 5 queries per day. (A lot.)

They can go by your home location or whatever coordinates, zip code, or cache that you would like.

There are other sorting features also. Going paperless is very nice. I probably wouldn't go if we had to print papers. Its too much work.

Thanks, I'll look for a cheap PDA and go with pocket queries. Printing is getting to be too much work and waste of paper and ink...

The Garmin Etrex Legend has a USB connection NOT serial. Change the settings from Com1 to USB and you will be in business.

If this has already been suggested I apologize for the repeat.

Jamesonsdad

Thanks but actually it came with a serial cable. The connection is fine and problem is resolved. It was my browser (secure IE) that was changing the LOC files. When I used Internet explorer it worked great.

EasyGPS *is* easy!

Bob

Edited by Mofino