Archive Search?

Micah_Taylor

I am trying to find information on a cache that is no longer listed as active. I am going to be in the area where it used to be, and I want to hunt around and see if there is any geotrash left there that needs to go. However, I cannot remember the exact name of the cache, and variations on what I recall are not bringing it up. Even searching for a single word that I know was in the title aren't working, but the search is bringing up other caches that are archived that contain the keyword, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've also noticed that the keyword search feature sometimes leaves out active caches that do contain the keyword I'm searching for as well.

I tried searching the forums for this topic, but I got 46 pages of hits, so please forgive me if this has been asked and answered many times in the past.

The only mechanism to list archived caches in an area is to bring up the old-style static map for that area, click on "show archived caches", and use the "identify" feature.

However, the static maps have been broken for a while and show no sign of coming back, so the only way to find archived caches is to email a reviewer and ask for the information.

Once a cache has been archived, Geocaching.com will never find it in a search. (That's been my experience, anyway.) Try a Google search for the title (or the GC number if you know it.) It may be that somewhere on the web someone has posted a link to the cache. (For example: a search for "PaRaDoXiCaL AmEriCan ToWnSHiPs" found this page which links to the archived cache page.)

Also Google Desktop is able to find cached pages on your computer. (Assuming you have Google Desktop installed.)

If you have (or know someone who has) a link to the cache you can find it that way. i.e. GSAK (I always move archived caches into a database called Archived, rather than delete them), or on a BLOG.

I find it much easier to just mark the caches as archived in your main database, change the status to archived or use database->global replace and change 'available status' to 'archived'. This way if they ever become unarchived you will still have the old logs.