Handheld GPS with Mp3 playing capability

I should mention, the interest I have in the mp3 player is to be able to go to a location, and listen to a pre-recorded message, based on that location. So I want to be able to get audio on very easily, and be able to manipulate it on the device fairly easily as well.

Wouldn't it be fun if when you downloaded a geocache, you could also download audio files? Or video files? Or you could leave a message for other people?

Yeah, I have the Lowrance Map and Music. The MP3 player is rather basic, but works well, and you can listen to MP3's while Geocaching. However, when doing this, it does slow down the map refresh rate a bit. The GPS part is the same as a Lowrance H2O, and is very good.

Jive

Im not sure how it works but Lowrance has one that can play mp3's.

Does anybody know of, or have a handheld gps device that also has MP3 player? Or better yet, something that plays videos as well? If the Iphone had a gps built in, that would fit my bill perfectly, but alas... :blink:

I bought a used Axim V30 Pocket PC ($140) on Ebay and a new Bluetooth GPS Sirf Star III on Ebay ($100). Any PPC with either built in GPS or Bluetooth and Bluetooth GPS will work; card based GPS break easily if dropped. For more than 5 hours on the PPC you will need an extra battery, Ebay again, the unit will also play MP3s, video, connect to the Internet when near open WiFi (in the USA - libraries, ranger stations and many others) and most things a standard PC will do. You do have to be careful about touching the screen accidentally and it is not a rugged as either a GPS or IPod, but I have dropped it on rocks and other than a few screen scratches it still works fine. It works best for me with MS Pocket Streets in major cities, and BackCountry Navigator downloads of 7 1/2 minute topos and aerial views in developed countries. Maps are not available for Mexico and many other Third World countries. I recommend you get a 4GB ECC (error correction and dependability) SD chip (check pricewatch.com or newegg.com for the best buy, about $38 delivered) for all those maps, music and videos.

In addition to the Map and Music, Lowrance has the PhD. These are both a generation old, but as nojive points out they are directly comparable to their newer line couterparts -- M&M=H2O; PhD=Explorer.

From the newer line, the Expedition C and Hunt C have MP3 players and they also have voice recorders. You have to buy either special headphones or a special adapter to use standard headphones, FM transmitter, etc. I don't know if the M&M or PhD can also record music, but I think the headphones with the unit.

I've never used the MP3 capability on mine, but I have used the voice recorder and was surprised at how well it worked. It is difficult to hear on the GPS because it only has one tiny waterproofed speaker, but if you transfer it to the computer the quality is very good. You can select waypoints (caches) and record individual messages for each one.

The M&M does not have a voice recorder, but it does include headphones and the special adapter cable.

BTW, I tried using a Handspring Visor with a GPS sleeve. It worked well, BUT I was always afraid I would drop it, or it would get wet, etc. The first time I got stuck in a heavy downpour with the Lowrance, I was ever so glad I got a standalone GPSr.

Jive

In addition to the Map and Music, Lowrance has the PhD. These are both a generation old, but as nojive points out they are directly comparable to their newer line couterparts -- M&M=H2O; PhD=Explorer.

From the newer line, the Expedition C and Hunt C have MP3 players and they also have voice recorders. You have to buy either special headphones or a special adapter to use standard headphones, FM transmitter, etc. I don't know if the M&M or PhD can also record music, but I think the headphones with the unit.

I've never used the MP3 capability on mine, but I have used the voice recorder and was surprised at how well it worked. It is difficult to hear on the GPS because it only has one tiny waterproofed speaker, but if you transfer it to the computer the quality is very good. You can select waypoints (caches) and record individual messages for each one.