eTrex H series performance in trees

So TVNAV has them already hey. I pre-ordered a Legend HCX from there. Hopefully will see it soon. Will post back with first impressions.

I'm still having trouble adding replies to these forums but I just got my eTrex Vista HCx last week (from PCNation) and so far it seems to work just fine in dense tree cover. I was out with my son on Sunday and it didn't lose the signal once and I didn't even have WAAS enabled! I can only compare it to my former 60 CS which used to lose the signal in my driveway! I have one other issue with it but I won't post that here until I contact Garmin - I have to find out if this is specific to my device or a global problem.

I have one other issue with it but I won't post that here until I contact Garmin - I have to find out if this is specific to my device or a global problem.

You could share it with us. Those with the same unit will be able to check if it happens for them also. Garmin is pretty slow to answer and more important, they often deny at 1st any problem. Again 2 days ago I called for another question and asked at the same time for any news about the WAAS problem and the personne was not aware of any problem. I politly told him to ask coworkers around because I knew a few was aware of the problem.

I have one other issue with it but I won't post that here until I contact Garmin - I have to find out if this is specific to my device or a global problem.

You could share it with us. Those with the same unit will be able to check if it happens for them also. Garmin is pretty slow to answer and more important, they often deny at 1st any problem. Again 2 days ago I called for another question and asked at the same time for any news about the WAAS problem and the personne was not aware of any problem. I politly told him to ask coworkers around because I knew a few was aware of the problem.

My other "problem" is discussed elsewhere in this forum but I'll throw it out here too. I cannot seem to get my unit to turn on without pulling out one of the batteries and then replacing it. I tried to contact Garmin via their web site but it didn't seem like the message went through. Then I got a note yesterday from their support people suggesting that I "reset" the unit using the ENTER-PAGE-POWER buttons but when I press all three of these (no small feat) - nothing happens. According to support, I am supposed to receive a message asking me if I want to proceed. I receive nothing but a blank screen. I guess I should try to talk to a person but I get home from work very late and I don't have time to spend on the phone.

SOmeone here had that problem also and solved it by a factory reset like described.

I would try to remove a single battery then press all those keys while replacing the battery. Let us know if the reset work then and maybe later if it seems to have solved the problem.