7 Hour, 12.9 Mile Hike in an Arizona Heat Wave

Good work, amigo! That's some brutal heat, and you did well. Hat's off to you from a fellow Arizonan. And you are correct about the additional effect of radiant heat. Air temperature is just that--the temperature of the air. Rocks and soils absorb or reflect heat and can drive the temperature locally much higher. I checked the sand temp in the wash where I do sprints, and late afternoon it was 131 degrees when the air temp was just 95.

Stay hydrated, and watch your salts. If your fingertips feel puffy, consume something a little salty. I like V8, which I chill and keep buried deep in my pack to stay cool.

Regarding the snake issue: You're wise to be careful about them, but at temps that high they are relatively inactive. Wait until September; then they're downright mean. For now, the heat's keeping them drowsy.

Good work, amigo! That's some brutal heat, and you did well. Hat's off to you from a fellow Arizonan. And you are correct about the additional effect of radiant heat. Air temperature is just that--the temperature of the air. Rocks and soils absorb or reflect heat and can drive the temperature locally much higher. I checked the sand temp in the wash where I do sprints, and late afternoon it was 131 degrees when the air temp was just 95.

Stay hydrated, and watch your salts. If your fingertips feel puffy, consume something a little salty. I like V8, which I chill and keep buried deep in my pack to stay cool.

Regarding the snake issue: You're wise to be careful about them, but at temps that high they are relatively inactive. Wait until September; then they're downright mean. For now, the heat's keeping them drowsy.

Thanks for the tips and the congrats. I'm not sure if I mentioned, but I brought along a smaller bottle of gatorade, which I drank in the morning, and had a regular sized one at the gas station.

Nothing against Gatorade, but you're getting far more sugar than salt replenishment. I like to keep 'em separate. As the hangover is to drinking, so the crash is to sugar consumption. Some folks aren't bothered, while others are. I decided a while back that the benefits of Gatorade weren't worth the sugar crash. Hence the V8. Your mileage may, and probably does, differ ;)

That's a neat aspect of desert hiking--you become adept at tuning inputs of water, salts, and energy foods to the desired outputs of effort, sweat, speed and endurance. You are your own pit crew.

Nothing against Gatorade, but you're getting far more sugar than salt replenishment. I like to keep 'em separate. As the hangover is to drinking, so the crash is to sugar consumption. Some folks aren't bothered, while others are. I decided a while back that the benefits of Gatorade weren't worth the sugar crash. Hence the V8. Your mileage may, and probably does, differ :blink:

That's a neat aspect of desert hiking--you become adept at tuning inputs of water, salts, and energy foods to the desired outputs of effort, sweat, speed and endurance. You are your own pit crew.

I'll keep that in mind for future hikes. thanks again