New to GPS units/garmin/mapsource

My husband and I purchased a garmin 60csx a month ago and I'm beginning to feel like I need another college degree for this. Since I did not find anything as specific as what I needed in the faq's here are my primary issues:

1.) I understand that the mapsource software that comes with the device is "basic" (really basic). Since we live in the middle of Illinois and will be traveling extensively in the U.S., what kind of mapsource maps should I be purchasing? We will also be using it for geocaching (once I can get it figured out...lol), is there a separate type of map I should get for that?

2.) O.K....so I just want to know how to get from....say....Springfield, IL to Rolla, MO. I can get the device to give me the route correctly when I choose to follow roads. However.....when I try to plot the course on the computer (mapsource) to sync it with the device, all I can get is a straight line.

3.) Mapsource acts as if it cannot locate my device (USB). But, if I hit cancel on the screen where it wants to try to find my device another screen in the background shows my device and lets me sync. Why does it do that?

PS...The device will calculate the route as closely as possible (considering we don't have city navigator), but shouldn't we be able to see the correct route on the computer???

Also...I'm still getting that message when I try to sync the device with the computer. The "get connected" series of pop-up boxes appear and it says "your device was not detected". If I cancel out of that one.....a smaller pop-is behind and it shows our device and allows us to send information to it.

My husband and I purchased a garmin 60csx a month ago and I'm beginning to feel like I need another college degree for this. Since I did not find anything as specific as what I needed in the faq's here are my primary issues:

2.) O.K....so I just want to know how to get from....say....Springfield, IL to Rolla, MO. I can get the device to give me the route correctly when I choose to follow roads. However.....when I try to plot the course on the computer (mapsource) to sync it with the device, all I can get is a straight line.

Try this to get the route from point-to-point to follow roads instead of giving you a route only an airplane can fly:

1. Turn GPS on.

2. Go to the Main Menu.

3. Select the Setup icon (the wrench).

4. Select the Routing icon.

5. Under Guidance Method, select either "Prompted" or "Follow Road". (not "Off Road")

If you select Prompted, when you do a route on the GPS, it will ask whether you want to Follow Road or Off Road. Follow Road will do just that, stick to the roads in the GPS. This will vary according to the maps loaded. The base map has interstates, highways and larger roads. In most cases, it does not go down to street level. Off Road will give you a route as a crow flies. This is not much help if you want to drive a car.

I hope this helps.

In Mapsource, once you have City Navigator loaded in your computer, go to "Edit", select "Preferences", and look for the tab that says "Routing". Under this tab, you can then select Faster Time, Shorter Distance, and Direct Routing. Sounds like your copy of Mapsource is set on Direct. Remember, Mapsource is basically a map management program, and it is separate from your handheld. Your routing choices need to be selected in both Mapsource and your handheld. Hope this is of use to you!

Tom

The SD cards don't require unlocking and will work with multiple GPS units but, they only work with the GPS units and not with your computer. You won't be able to load the maps onto your computer so you can't use them with MapSource. The DVD version is better in this regard. The unlock process is not difficult if you just follow the steps through the myGarmin website.

Thanks for the advice! We are going to purchase City Navigator NT and eventually the topo....but have one more question. Is it better to buy the preloaded micro sd? (we've seen posts that suggest the non-preloaded version is difficult to load and unlock)

I have always recommended buying city navigator on DVD, but with the new version only allowing one unlock I think when I buy it I will be buying the fully unlocked pre-programed card. I already have garmin topo maps and MS streets and trips so I still will have PC connectivity.

with the pre-programed card I will be able to purchase a new GPS and still use my same maps, and also use the card in either my 60cx or my vistaCX. only thing I worry about is if the card dies will garmin replace it?