Geocaching.com down again

When will Groundspeak realise that Microsoft's .NET framework is a huge can of worms.

I''ve been getting this for quite a while now (YET AGAIN) when trying to plan out some caches for tomorrow:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

Geocaching.UI._default.CreateDropdowns() +468

Geocaching.UI._default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +95

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +755

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

Most of the time I'd be happy to make the excuse that it's past midnight (as it is here at the moment) and ... but it's not past midnight there - it's not that far past midday, so what are they doing?

If this was a volunteer service, I'd let it go, but I'm paying as a premium member for this service, so what gives with extended down times like these?

It's hardly proffesional.

What servers / software / developers are these using for goodness sake?

Most of the people I have worked for guarantee 99.9 service (BBC being one of them).

So how can these people possibly run a service where I regularly get a .NET so sevice error message?

Not even a "sorry we're experiencing problems screen".

Bunch of amateurs.

It is hardly fair to compare Geocaching.com and the BBC's web site. one has a large wallet backing it and the other relys on a small customer base. The BBC's web site is a static one for the most part in that it is not constantly being updated by users. Geocaching.com is dynamic which is constantly being updated by it's users.

To describe the Groundspeak staff as

Bunch of amateurs.

is unfair and insulting, they work hard in the background not only to keep the site running [you have to remember that this site started of as a hobby site, and has seen unbelievable growth] but also future developments to add more features, and make the site even more stable than it has been recently [which in it's self is a great improvement]

You quite happy to pay the BBC licence fee of £117(?) but belittle the staff of Groundspeak when a hitch takes place. I'd like to see the BBC handle such a dynamic site with such low financial resources and staff.

Plus if you look at UK MOAN THREAD it took a Groundspeak employee 10 minutes to reply from the first post in the thread. And this despite it being somewhere between 3am and 6am were he is located.

To describe the Groundspeak staff as

Bunch of amateurs.

is unfair and insulting, they work hard in the background not only to keep the site running [you have to remember that this site started of as a hobby site, and has seen unbelievable growth] but also future developments to add more features, and make the site even more stable than it has been recently [which in it's self is a great improvement]

I take it back and apologise for my rash comments.

I agree that I was way over the top last night in making that comment. The site is up most of the time and to be honest has provided many hours of enjoyment for myself and many others - after all Geocaching wouldn't be possible without this or similarly run web sites. I am - and will continue to remain a premium member as, despite how my comments came across, I really appreciate the work the staff at Geocaching do.

I guess sometimes changes are made to the site in an attempt to improve things which may have a "butterfly effect" and cause other things to break. It's obvious that the site is currently under continual development - the presentation of the main cache pages has changed quite a bit over the last few weeks - and the flexibility of the printout section is a vast improvement.

It's been more than once that I've sat down to look at the site ready to make some plans only to get the .NET faliure screen, but this hardly justifies the comments I made - most of the time the site is quick to respond and well designed.

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

I agree that I was way over the top last night in making that comment.

Good for you that you apologised: I think that the site was down for only an hour or so. Although we do pay for the site, the facilities we get are superb for a derisory £1.25 per month. If there's the occasional glitch, I'm prepared to hold back on the complaining if the price stays so low. It's only maintained by a couple of geocaching enthusiasts really!

As far as I can detect, performance has been much improved over the last few weeks, and I don't remember having any serious trouble lately (even on Sunday evenings). There was a lot of moaning when we were going through problems using the site due to slow response (and lack of response), but there's not been many congratulations since the upgrade.

I dread to think what the UK forum is going to be like when the main upgrade goes through: the moderators had better get hard hats. We're not called whingeing Poms for nothing!

It takes a brave person to stand up in public and apologise :lol: , especially when there is a ability to slink away

I hope Signal can forgive me :lol:

I believe that's guaranteed :laughing:

I dread to think what the UK forum is going to be like when the main upgrade goes through: the moderators had better get hard hats. We're not called whingeing Poms for nothing!

Your all a bunch of pussycats :D so who needs a hard hat :laughing: plus I believe TPTB are hoping for a painless transfer :laughing:

Server Application Unavailable

The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

Oh No!!! 16:43 on Tuesday 3rd.

Server Application Unavailable

The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

Oh No!!! 16:43 on Tuesday 3rd.

Oh yes! :o

Just when I had a log to enter. :D