GPS for Scout Group

I am looking for any basic GPS units people are looking to get rid of cheap or free (I will pay shipping ).

I look after a large number of Scouts, Venturers and Rovers. I have 2 GPS of my own, but when we go Geocaching in a large group its hard to give very kid a chance to use one of the GPS units.

If you have any older units you are not using, and would be willing to part with for a good cause please contact me.

I am also a Technologist and have repaired a few GPS units so dont mind getting some broken ones to try to fix up. If I manage to get enough units I will spread them around amoungst the other scouting units who are interested in taking the kids Geocaching.

Thanks

Jamie

Edited by akela_jamie

HELLO~Jamie

I am a cub-scout leader. I am here in Red Bluff, California. I also have been trying to get any donations of just basic units working and have not received any responces, so i just been buying them one at a time. I have been able to collect 3 plus my 2 so far in 5 months.. I wrote a good begging letter and have given it to companies but not any responce yet. wish you were closer then we could share..

Hi,

Was just reading through some of the forum posts and came upon yours. Got me thinking as to how a scout group could acquire some units to use. Just some thoughts that may help (or not - free advice can be worth every penny you paid for it! :unsure: )

1. Contact the GPS company relations department about getting donations of discontinued or refurbished units -- Garmin, Magellan, etc. You might also try some of the bigger retailers who sell units and may have returned older units that they are having trouble moving or are 'dead stock'.

2. Set up an event cache where geocachers in the area can come to a meet-n-greet and donate their old gps units to the scout troup. You might also entice them by having the scouts hand out some fresh baked items (or boxes of GS cookies!) or maybe even have a special limited set of geocoins made (some cash outlay) to give out to each person who donates. You might also take cash donations for these coins (above what they cost to make) to raise money to purchase units.

As I said, just a couple of thoughts.

Good luck!

Hi,

Was just reading through some of the forum posts and came upon yours. Got me thinking as to how a scout group could acquire some units to use. Just some thoughts that may help (or not - free advice can be worth every penny you paid for it! :unsure: )

1. Contact the GPS company relations department about getting donations of discontinued or refurbished units -- Garmin, Magellan, etc. You might also try some of the bigger retailers who sell units and may have returned older units that they are having trouble moving or are 'dead stock'.

2. Set up an event cache where geocachers in the area can come to a meet-n-greet and donate their old gps units to the scout troup. You might also entice them by having the scouts hand out some fresh baked items (or boxes of GS cookies!) or maybe even have a special limited set of geocoins made (some cash outlay) to give out to each person who donates. You might also take cash donations for these coins (above what they cost to make) to raise money to purchase units.

Good luck!

Very good ideas, I will try to concern those ideas for scouts of Spain. A greeting :):)

I am looking for any basic GPS units people are looking to get rid of cheap or free (I will pay shipping ).

I look after a large number of Scouts, Venturers and Rovers. I have 2 GPS of my own, but when we go Geocaching in a large group its hard to give very kid a chance to use one of the GPS units.

If you have any older units you are not using, and would be willing to part with for a good cause please contact me.

I am also a Technologist and have repaired a few GPS units so dont mind getting some broken ones to try to fix up. If I manage to get enough units I will spread them around amoungst the other scouting units who are interested in taking the kids Geocaching.

Thanks

Jamie

ive got a a magellan explorist 200 for sale. works great and its a perfect beginner unit. $100 and shipping is free...

if you guys are still looking i may be of some help but there is one small problem i am in the UK i know this post is over year old but if you are still looking i may be able to get hold of a few Magellan 315 units just let me know i have one and they are not bad

Thank you for the offer. I have sent you a pm and hope to hear from you soon.

Jamie

I have the two new basic eTrex models for $100 + $10 shipping I'm advertising. If you want them, I'll take off the shipping charge. Sorry, best I can do! :D

I appretiate the offer. The scouts here have limited funds, but I am sure I can swing a deal like that.

I have sent a PM and hope we can work out the details.

Jamie

Hi,

Was just reading through some of the forum posts and came upon yours. Got me thinking as to how a scout group could acquire some units to use. Just some thoughts that may help (or not - free advice can be worth every penny you paid for it! :D )

Good luck!

Thanks for the ideas. I will try contacting the manufacturers as suggested. I am currently working on a design for a Geocoin with a scouting theme, but need to finish the design, then get permision of the national council to sell them as a fundraiser.

Happy Caching.

Jamie

Thanks

Jamie

ive got a a magellan explorist 200 for sale. works great and its a perfect beginner unit. $100 and shipping is free...

I apretiate the offer, it is a little out of the range, and a little more unit than I was looking for the scouts, I do know several scout leaders who are interested in aquiring a unit for themselves, with your permision I can put them in contact with you?

Jamie

PS sorry I took so long to get back to you. I was away camping up north for a while and havent had a chance before now to check the boards.

Happy Caching

HELLO~Jamie

I am a cub-scout leader. I am here in Red Bluff, California. I also have been trying to get any donations of just basic units working and have not received any responces, so i just been buying them one at a time. I have been able to collect 3 plus my 2 so far in 5 months.. I wrote a good begging letter and have given it to companies but not any responce yet. wish you were closer then we could share..

My plan is to create a Lending Library of GPS units for scout groups in this area (Brantford Ontario Canada)

and possibly surounding areas if demand and supply are there.

I have introduced a lot of scout leaders in my area to Geocaching, and have even set up a Geocaching event just for one group at our local scout camp. The kids loved it. I hid caches all over the camp, and gave them criptic clues that could be anywhere, but became obvious once they actually found the caches.

In the past I have loaned out my own units (1 Legend, and 1 GPSMAP60C) but as I ahve loaned out the Legend on a long term loan to a good friend who is a scout leader but lives a couple of hundred miles away, and my GPSMAP60C has had to be repaired 3 times due mostly to drops, I find myself in the possition of not being able give outt he help I usually do to other leaders. (Fortunatly I was able to complete all the repairs myself as Garmin wants a minimum charge of $125 per repair).

Good luck and Be Prepared!

jamie

We teach GPS to educators in Illinois. Garmin set us up with a Garmin dealer who gives 30% off of the list price of most of the garmin units. Shipping is very reasonable as well. He is out of New York, we have been dealing with him for years and is great to work with. He isn't in the position to donate any units.

If you want more info, please email me. I will send you the form we use in our classes. My email address is egorny@gis2gps.com

Our pages are www.ilega.org and www.gis2gps.com

Ed Gorny

Thanks

Jamie

I apretiate the offer, it is a little out of the range, and a little more unit than I was looking for the scouts, I do know several scout leaders who are interested in aquiring a unit for themselves, with your permision I can put them in contact with you?

Jamie

PS sorry I took so long to get back to you. I was away camping up north for a while and havent had a chance before now to check the boards.

Happy Caching

sure.....id appreciate that.......joe

Thanks

Jamie

Jamie

Happy Caching

sure.....id appreciate that.......joe

Sorry, I tried a few of my friends who are looking for GPS units, but everyone wants to stay with Garmin. There is an aboundance of Topo and Metroguide software around here for Garmin so everyone is sticking that way. Thanks for the offer, and sorry I couldnt get it sold for you.

jamie

HI

I was in the same boat as all of you, looking for some chepo GPSr for my troop. Tried for months and I started to look at Ebay. There are a lot of them. I got 2 used Yellow Etrex (in very good condition) and the computer cable with the serial to usb converter. I ended paying $20 for one unit and $25 for the other (shipping was included in every one). For less than $50 I got two units.

Some time you can see someone selling a lot of 5-10 units. I saw a lot that was a good deal for $150 but I didnt take it because of the shipping charges, the seller only use UPS and I live in Puerto Rico, I did the math and it was around $100 because he will send it nextday+tax..... at that time I didnt have the money available and it was a few minutes to the auction to end and I like to give a detailed review to each offer.

Remember, The tricky parts is to spend some time looking at the auctions and dont hesitate and buy the first cheap offer, dig around, try to get the most out of your money.

Ramon

HI

I was in the same boat as all of you, looking for some chepo GPSr for my troop. Tried for months and I started to look at Ebay. There are a lot of them. I got 2 used Yellow Etrex (in very good condition) and the computer cable with the serial to usb converter. I ended paying $20 for one unit and $25 for the other (shipping was included in every one). For less than $50 I got two units.

Some time you can see someone selling a lot of 5-10 units. I saw a lot that was a good deal for $150 but I didnt take it because of the shipping charges, the seller only use UPS and I live in Puerto Rico, I did the math and it was around $100 because he will send it nextday+tax..... at that time I didnt have the money available and it was a few minutes to the auction to end and I like to give a detailed review to each offer.

Remember, The tricky parts is to spend some time looking at the auctions and dont hesitate and buy the first cheap offer, dig around, try to get the most out of your money.

Ramon

Thanks for the info Ramon. I have bought two yellows so far. I am looking for a few more units to complete the kit. My Scouts (Venturers actually) love Geocaching, Caving, Rock Climbing, Canoeing, Kayaking, and the latest thing we have started doing is going to abondend mine sites to look for interesting mineral samples, we have found a few gem quality stones. We also explored a site that was a Native Village a few hundred years ago and found Stone arrow heads, a stone axe and a partially finished carving in stone.

of course all the sites we visit are now marked in my GPS, and the kids argue over who gets to use my spare unit all the time. A few weeks ago friends and I took 50 youth out hunting for a cache in a remote park. Lots of muggles around, and here we were trying to get 50 excited Scouts and Venturers to be casual and discrete, needless to say we were asked a lot of questions, but fortunatly everyone who noticed what we were doing thought it sounded like great fun, and were all questioning me about where to get information on caches, and what GPS to buy.

Be Prepared!

Jamie