Rule on log signing

Richard E

A year ago a young fellow goes caching with his parents. Parents sign the log XXXXXXX XX and family. The young fellow just became a member with his own user name and is now logging these caches. Must he actually sign the log? What is the rule?

He sorta did .... "and family".

A brief note explaining the late logging and who he was with should suffice.

A lot of thrown together teams go out for a day of caching and go with a single entry like "Joe and gang". But then they all log it online.

A year ago a young fellow goes caching with his parents. Parents sign the log XXXXXXX XX and family. The young fellow just became a member with his own user name and is now logging these caches. Must he actually sign the log? What is the rule?

Caching has only 2 rules basically.

If you take something, leave something.

Sign the log.

It is up to each cache owner to decide if they want to delete a log. But really, why does it matter either way. Everyone plays differently.

He signed it 'and family' . Most cache owner are cool with people relogging caches when they separate from a team user id.

If an owner doesn't believe he was there they might deny the log.

I don't think most people will have a problem with it.

It's certainly okay that he go back and log these finds on his own account if he'd like. To make it easier for cache owners to understand it would make sense for his past dated logs to read something like, "Found cache on xx/xx/xxxx with my parents, logging it on my newly created account."

This happens a lot with divorces, break ups, etc., as well as with people who want to change their caching name (since you can no longer do it automatically). It also causes a thread created from time to time asking why someone is logging a cache with a year old log and asking should they delete it.