Non-Geographic Geocaching Organizations

We have forums to let folks know about geographically based geocaching groups, by state and country.

Would it be possible to add an area for non-geographically base groups? I belong to two - MAGC and GC4C (see signature). Neither of which are limited by borders. I imagine there may be others based on occupation, interests, or such.

I looked for the best place to post this and while there is a forum to discuss the geocaching.com site, there is not one specifially to discuss features and issues realted to this site.

Does anyone know of other interest based groups?

Dave

<corrected typo>

Edited by DudleyGrunt

I'll admit that this is a bit biased, as I'm the forum administrator for GC4C, but I really do believe that there should be a section for non geographically based groups.

When I think about non geographical groups I think of things like Scouts, AirCadets, Lion's clubs, ect.... groups that are far reaching and don't neccessarily restrict themselves to a region.

I understand that in our specific situation, there are people who won't approve of our group, but then, there will likely be people who would approve of and choose to join our fellowship. I believe that people should be given the option of gathering with others who have the same interests as them.

I believe that a "fellowship" style of group based on whatever the reason cannot be wrong or illicit anymore than a group that is based on a geographical region. I am personally a member of ACGA which is a regional group based out of the Atlantic Canadian Provinces... My connection to these people Is limited to the fact that i live in the same region as them, and I don't know anything about them at all.. I have no other connector to that group, whereas with GC4C, I share common interest, common belief, and we have much that we can discuss. If I'm going through a hard time, I have a group of people I can reach out to, and ask for prayer from, and people to discuss my life with.

I will also go on the slate to say that i cannot, nor would i, expect Groundspeak to allow any foothold to a group that is haterelated or is designed to cause issue. I know that this is a touchy subject, because, who decides whats a hate group and who decides that its just a fellowship... I don't have that answer... but i do believe that there should be a portal to other groups that aren't geographically regional.

I agree with both of you, and so do the people who administer these forums. That's why we have the Organized Geocaching forum for groups like yours.

Then why aren't the "Geocaching Groups by Region / State" and "Geocaching Groups by Country" listed under "Organized Geocaching"?

Actually, the subtitle of "Organized Geocaching" is "Here you can share ideas on the next level of Geocaching - League games and other organized sports using GPS units." Given that, it doesn't really seem to be the place to list groups (whether by state, region, country, or interest) whose intent is to get geocachers together to participate in standard geocaching activities.

The Military Association of GeoCachers (MAGC) isn't intended to introduce geocaching into military operations and GeoCachers 4 Christ (GC4C) isn't designed to take congregations on caching quests. The purposes of both are to bring cachers together that share a common interest, as opposed to a common border.

Thoughts?

I'll say this gets moved tooooo.....GC Website.

This thread moved to the Geocaching Website forum? Why? Did think there should maybe a specific thread to talk about features and such of this site, though. This was the best place I could find to post a request like this.

I'd have thought GC website.I do agree however with your suggestion about Non regional groups.

I also agree with the idea of non-regional groups. I'm a member of MAGC as well, and although we have our own forums on the MAGC website, I think its a pretty good idea.

On the other hand... having groups like GC4C under the organized geocaching header could be interesting as well. For us Catholics, we could hide the communion wafers and scramental wine in different locations around the chapel and chapel grounds and everyone can go and find them :o

I also agree with the idea of non-regional groups. I'm a member of MAGC as well, and although we have our own forums on the MAGC website, I think its a pretty good idea.

On the other hand... having groups like GC4C under the organized geocaching header could be interesting as well. For us Catholics, we could hide the communion wafers and scramental wine in different locations around the chapel and chapel grounds and everyone can go and find them :unsure:

:angry::huh::huh::huh::rolleyes:

I'm just thinking of a way to promote the groups, like is done for the regional ones. Did also find a listing for Geocaching Pilots Association (GPA), that would fit the bill. There must be other interest based groups out there.

On the other hand... having groups like GC4C under the organized geocaching header could be interesting as well. For us Catholics, we could hide the communion wafers and scramental wine in different locations around the chapel and chapel grounds and everyone can go and find them :huh:

:huh::rolleyes::huh::unsure::angry:

I'm just thinking of a way to promote the groups, like is done for the regional ones. Did also find a listing for Geocaching Pilots Association (GPA), that would fit the bill. There must be other interest based groups out there.

I think there is a group out there for Truck drivers... if there is any group that is without geographic boundaries, I think they'd meet the definition.

Found it: GeoTruckers

Edited by BRTango