eTrex Legend Cx, eTrex Vista, or Explorist 400

Welcome to the Forums! ;)

I would recommend the Legend Cx if you don't want to spend more than $200 and don't want to wait a few weeks for the new Garmin HCx models to come out. That model is capable of auto-routing once you purchase and install the City Navigator maps.

I agree, the Legend Cx. Don't even consider the Vista - it's black n white, don't auto-route and the processor is snail slow compared to the Cx'. I would know 'cause I have a Vista and a Venture Cx, cousin to the Legend Cx. I don't know anything about the Explorist; so, I couldn't compare it for you.

I think the Legend would be a better value for you than the Venture 'cause you're a first-time buyer and may need the MapSource software (Trip & Waypoint Manager), USB cable, and memory card (although quite small at 64mb), all of which are included in the Legend but not the Venture for only a $30 difference.

The Venture CX is the EXACT SAME GPS as the Legend CX other than the housing color. He recommends it because it is cheaper than the Legend CX. It's cheaper because it does not include the cable, card or Trip and Waypoint Manager. You are probably gonna want a bigger card eventually. If you have a digital camera, there's a chance that the cable might fit the gps. And, if you decide that you will purchasing mapping software, you won't need Trip and waypoint manager. Plus, there are other programs out there for free that you can use to manage your waypoints. That's my guess to why he thinks it's a better buy than the Legend CX.

I thinks thats why he recommended it also; after all, that's why I chose the Venture Cx over the Legend Cx. I already had MapSource, a cable, and bought a 2Gb card to download maps and POIs. Above all else, the yellow case matches perfectly with my yellow Mtn bike :o .

We have an old E-Trex Vista, black and white. Does a good enough job getting us to the caches. But, I just bought a new E-Trex Vista CX. It's color. It does turn - by -turn. Has a electronic compass, has expandable memory (with a micro disk, it comes with a 64mb, although I had a 2G one at home) and does other things I haven't tried yet. (Just bought it 4 days ago) After I loaded City navigator my hubby (my old navigator) and I don't argue anymore when he sends me down the wrong road (which is usually a dead end). BTW you can bid on a GPS on E-Bay, there are plenty, most of them are refurbished, but work just fine and come with a one year warranty. Some guy/gal in COLO. sells a lot of them and he ships fast. My friend bought one this way and he spent way less money than I. Good Luck. Cache On! :o

Edited by Team FIREBOY