conducting geocaching classes

Because another cacher scheduled to help but has now left for Iraq, I was contacted about a geocaching class for an outdoor ladies' group a bit south of me. We won't have internet, and I don't think I'll be able to use the power point which is available. So, I would like some hints as I study up and collect handouts:

- how technical are these ladies likely to be? (from your experience), and what will they most want to know?

- what have you found to be the best sources of information? (So far, I'm perusing Markwell.)

-would Garmin be likely to get involved? provide any loaners, etc.?

-would Jeremy provide a nicely stocked cache for display/or as a practice hide? Perhaps a couple of t.b. tags for display and dispersement? a t-shirt as a prize?

the ladies will be signing up in a couple of weeks, so there are no numbers yet.

Robespierre ;)

I taught a "Women in the Outdoors" class in Terre Haute a couple years ago. I took them through the brochure and gave them some basic GPS instruction, then we headed out to find a few caches we had hidden in the park.

They loved it and had a great time.

As for Garmin, I recently asked them to help me out with some GPS's for a class I was teaching, but no dice. However, the local University extension office has loaned me 12 GPS 72's for another class. Not sure if you can find something like that, but it can't hurt to ask.

Bret

I did a WITO group about two years ago. I set up 12 caches around the perimeter of the property being used and got another cacher to help me out. I had about 15 to 20 people per class and broke them into two groups , the other cacher and I started from the opposite ends of the caches. Each person in my group used the GPS to guide everyone to the next cache and then they all pitched in to find the cache.

Other than that I handed out the brochure, brought some sample containers as reference, and talked about the basics of Geocaching.

I taught a "Women in the Outdoors" class in Terre Haute a couple years ago. I took them through the brochure and gave them some basic GPS instruction, then we headed out to find a few caches we had hidden in the park.

They loved it and had a great time.

As for Garmin, I recently asked them to help me out with some GPS's for a class I was teaching, but no dice. However, the local University extension office has loaned me 12 GPS 72's for another class. Not sure if you can find something like that, but it can't hurt to ask.

Bret

thanks for that link.

I find myself teaching more and more geocaching classes these days. Many of them are for Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, and other youth organizations. Although providing them with all the whys and wherefores of running a Garmin would be nice, it could also be overwhelming. What I do is provide them with the basics.

1) What is geocaching (in short)

2) What are we looking for (show them different types of containers)

3) How to use the Garmin to locate nearest caches (waypoints are pre-loaded)

4) What do we do when we do find it?

I have constructed a large fold-out yellow Garmin visual that numbers the buttons 1-5 for easy reference. Each "holder of the Garmin" gets a sheet with easy-to-follow instructions (in case they have trouble and I'm busy with somebody else).

As for loaners, some regional geocaching clubs have invested in loaners. Become active with them and offer to help teach. Also, if you have local offices like Cooperative Extension (the 4-H program) or a Community College, they may also have units for educational loan. Please note, that many such groups loan these out of the goodness of their hearts. Ask the group you are teaching for to provide the batteries, rather than expect the Garmin-owning organization to foot the bill for the batteries.

Good luck!

Geocacher U is your friend. :D

I taught a class to a group at the local State Park over the weekend. I based my talk on GU's Geocaching 101. (Thanks Bret) It work real well. It's written so that it can be as simple or as involved as your audience needs or wants.

Awwwww...thanks! You made my night. :D

I keep hoping to get more stuff up...if only I didn't have this darn job! :D

Bret

From the responses, I'm expecting to be very elementary in my presentation, brief, then hunt a couple of caches.

Definitly concentrate on an actual cache hunt. I've done classes where I can only talk about Geocaching, but when I can include a cache hunt everyone understands how much fun it is.

I don't touch on how to program or use the GPS, thats something they can learn if they buy a GPS. Kind of like learning how to program your VCR, it takes some practice.

I don't touch on how to program or use the GPS, thats something they can learn if they buy a GPS. Kind of like learning how to program your VCR, it takes some practice.

Seems like that would be hard to avoid, if we're going to find caches. I do think I'll be able to recruit a "helper" so we can help more ladies.

Seems like that would be hard to avoid, if we're going to find caches. I do think I'll be able to recruit a "helper" so we can help more ladies.

Let me clarify a little. I'll show them how the screen with the compass arrow works and have them find caches with that screen. I'll explain what a waypoint is and to waypoint your car. I've tried to do how to program a GPS and it gets to techie, peoples eyes start to glaze over.

Also when they are looking for caches thats when I answer a lot of questions. Because as they start to look for caches is when they start to ask about the practical applications of a GPS

I've had the opportunity to teach to families for my city parks department. One thing that worked well were the "labs"

1) Give groups empty containers, stickers, logbook, pencil, cache items

2) Have them build the caches, name them, etc.

3) Send them out to hide them and return with the coordinates

4) post the coordinates and have the other groups find them

5) at the end, collect the caches, debrief and then... hide and submit the caches in the "official" way using the names from the group.

Using fake caches will prevent folks from showing them to friends and family and prevent muggling.

Submitting them under the name they selected will invite them to create an account and look for "their" cache once it is in a new location and "official"

This seemed to work okay. I did have a lot of kids in the class - so that was a factor in worrying about muggling.