I am going to Texas.

simpjkee

I'm going to Texas in mid July. I'm staying with my cousin in Georgetown, just north of Austin. I'm looking for a good hiking trail with geocaches near Georgetown. The best I could see from the geocache map is a trail going from a subdivision to the dam at Lake Georgetown. I'm not a very experienced hiker, but the trail I see looks easy. It even appears to be paved. I'm wondering if anyone can give me a suggestion for a good hike/geocaching adventure. Thanks.

BTW, you can look in my sig for an adventure I ended up on when I was in Oregon a month or so ago. I guess I'm just trying to plan a little better for my Texas trip than I did when in Oregon.

I'm not that familiar with the Lake Georgetown caches, but there are a ton up there. I can't quite tell from your post if you're looking for something more challenging or just general info on the trails that you've found.

If you want a more "rustic" hiking experience, your best bet is the Barton Creek Greenbelt. It's much farther south than where you'll be, but it offers miles of hiking along the creek and a ton of caches. We just hiked a few miles of it today to pick up a cache and take some time wading in the creek. Bring your swimsuit if you'd really like to cool off.

See these caches for a couple of reference points:

GC708

GC6FA

The trails run from west Austin all the way to Zilker park, which is just south of downtown.

Come check out our Yahoo group and I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice and probably some offers to serve as geo-guides while you're in town.

Central Texas Geocachers

I can't quite tell from your post if you're looking for something more challenging or just general info on the trails that you've found.

I'm a very unexperienced hiker, but I am in good shape. I would have no probblem going on a 12 mile hike with elevation change. I have no clue how to rock climb or anything so thats definately out of the question. I'd like to find a good hike that will take a few hours that also has a bunch of caches along the way.

Here's the best route I can find for now, but it looks like this path is just a paved road and I can walk on paved roads here in Arizona. I'd like something a little more rugged, but not something for "advanced" hikers. Keep in mind from the satellite images its hard for me to guess just where this trail lies in that spectrum.

62771n5.jpg

does that make more sense?

If you want a more "rustic" hiking experience, your best bet is the Barton Creek Greenbelt. It's much farther south than where you'll be, but it offers miles of hiking along the creek and a ton of caches. We just hiked a few miles of it today to pick up a cache and take some time wading in the creek. Bring your swimsuit if you'd really like to cool off.

See these caches for a couple of reference points:

GC708

GC6FA

The trails run from west Austin all the way to Zilker park, which is just south of downtown.

Central Texas Geocachers

those look great. and you can wade in the creek, that sounds awesome. my mom wants to take a day trip to the university.

it only looks to be about 25-30 miles from georgetown to austin so I'll definately keep this in mind. thank you very much.

Just got back from Texas and I wanted to thank you for your suggestion. I hiked all 7 or so miles of the greenbelt and had an excellent time. The greenbelt was what I was looking for and then some. I didnt bring my swimsuit, but I jumped into the creek a few times to cool off. That was an awesome experience. Thank you very much!

Here's a few pics I got before my camera got wet and quit working :blink:

637aqhi.jpg

4mt3eih.jpg

4m1mvwg.jpg