Caches in 60Csx twice - How to Fix?

CDach

I'm sure this subject has been discussed, so a link to that thread is fine!!

I use the PQ's and GSAK to send caches to my 60Csx. I changed the smart name length and how the hint is displayed, and loaded new caches into the 60Csx. Now in the 60Csx I have duplicate entries of most of the caches, with the names just being longer on the second entry.

How do I get rid of the duplicate entries? I thought when you downloaded to the GPS it replaced all the waypoints? In GSAK the database does not have the duplicate entries.

Thanks for the help!!

Chris

When you download waypoints, the new ones will override the previous ones, but only if the name of the waypoint is identical. Even adding a space between characters will not override the old ones. Do as Miragee suggests - delete all your waypoints in the GPS and download the new ones from GSAK afterwards. Don't forget to save any waypoints you don't want to lose!

When you download waypoints, the new ones will override the previous ones, but only if the name of the waypoint is identical

And the 60csx, can even make this statement a fallacy. I don't think it is in the manual but the 60csx gets smart with us here. That is, if the name is the same but the coordinates are different it will actually add this as a new waypoint rather than replace - also changing the name of the waypoint behind your back to something unique.

Bottom line: To keep your sanity, it is a good idea to delete all your waypoints in your GPSr before sending again.

Edited by ClydeE

I thought when you downloaded to the GPS it replaced all the waypoints?

You may be thinking of detailed maps; they erase (replace, really) existing uploaded mapsets.

As others note, clearing out the existint geocaches or all waypoints will do the trick before uploading. I make it a paranoid habit to download my waypoints to a datestamped file like backup20070623.gpx immediately before clearing just in case I've marked some manual points that I forgot about.

And the 60csx, can even make this statement a fallacy. I don't think it is in the manual but the 60csx gets smart with us here. That is, if the name is the same but the coordinates are different it will actually add this as a new waypoint rather than replace - also changing the name of the waypoint behind your back to something unique.

I just discovered this behaviour recently as well and I think it should be considered a bug (it's dangerous!). My 60cx renamed a waypoint that I had uploaded to use for locating a specfic trail location. When I selected the waypoint by name I got the wrong point... not fun when your standing in the middle of a trail maze! Fortunately, "find nearest" helped me locate the new waypoint name but it was a bit of a surprise non-the-less.

I find the "delete by symbol" option handy for clearing out the waypoints on my 60cx. I mark my own waypoints with a different symbol than I use for caches, so I can leave all of my waypoints on the GPS and refresh just the cache waypoints using GSAK. (I also keep a separate database of my own waypoints in GSAK for safe keeping)