GPS Info wanted........

I have just been introduced to geo-caching and had first day out today with borrowed GPS.

I think I may be addicted!!

I am looking to buy a GPS ($100.00 max) I have been through ebay but am I don't know much about these devices yet and am wondering if it matters if someone in Canada buys one from USA? Does it affect the maps that are on it ect?? I read alot about downloading onto gps but the Garmin one I am borrowing sure doesnt seem to have any ports or anywhere to plug into pc?? Sorry for sounding so dumb but I am new to all this and want to make sure I buy the right device. Any info would be appreciated.

I signed up 2 days ago with nick "binky11" but am now "3ladybugz" But because I just signed in with that new nick I was not yet able to access the forum with it. Thanks for any info

Welcome to the Forums! :angry:

I might suggest you up your budget just a little bit and check eBay for the discontinued Legend C. It connects to your computer with USB, instead of with a Serial cable. You might be able to get one for $130, or so.

Later on you can purchase maps for your area. For Geocaching, you don't really need maps, although they can certainly be helpful. If you either print out Google Earth images or have good paper maps, you can probably navigate to the trailheads or the cache location.

I am looking to buy a GPS ($100.00 max) I have been through ebay but am I don't know much about these devices yet and am wondering if it matters if someone in Canada buys one from USA?

Doesn't matter. If it has a basemap I thinik the basemap will be the same for all NA models.

I read alot about downloading onto gps but the Garmin one I am borrowing sure doesnt seem to have any ports or anywhere to plug into pc??

It is possible but unlikely that the unit had no ability to cable up to a PC. Generally the connector area is hidden under a rubber flap. Do you remember what it was called?

In the $100 range (new) you'll be looking for something quite simple. Used, you could get a Legend or Legend C (as the other poster correctly recommended) if you snipe agressively and patiently.

It's a blue Garmin, and I did find the rubber flap that does connect it to pc. :blink:

I appreciate all the feedback!! I gather then it should not matter if I live in Canada if I buy a GPS from the USA? Would there be any additional downloads or software that would be required by buying one from there?

I will look around here first for a new one however as by the time I paid shipping and have customs nab me for their share, it just may not cost more here, will be checking it out some time this week.

It's a blue Garmin, and I did find the rubber flap that does connect it to pc. :blink:

I appreciate all the feedback!! I gather then it should not matter if I live in Canada if I buy a GPS from the USA? Would there be any additional downloads or software that would be required by buying one from there?

I will look around here first for a new one however as by the time I paid shipping and have customs nab me for their share, it just may not cost more here, will be checking it out some time this week.

It won't matter if you're in Canada.

The blue one is the black & white Legend. It's basically the cheapest Garmin that can hold a map.

The base map it comes with will have highways for U.S. and Canada. If you want detailed maps, you have to buy Garmin Mapsource MetroGuide North America (or an old version of MetroGuide Canada if you don't mind if it's a little out of date) separately and load in the pieces of map for your area.

The connector on the Legend is for a cable that connects with and older style serial port. If your computer doesn't have one of these, you'll need a USB-to-serial converter (~$20) to get it to connect.

Sounds like a Legend (8mb, grayscale screen). I've got two of them.

No difference, AFAIK.

If you could get one used from a fellow Canadian, that might be the best situation.

Enjoy your new hobby. :-)

It's a blue Garmin, and I did find the rubber flap that does connect it to pc. :angry:

Sounds like a Legend (8mb, grayscale screen). I've got two of them.

No difference, AFAIK.

If you could get one used from a fellow Canadian, that might be the best situation.

Enjoy your new hobby. :-)

Well I did go and purchase a unit. I got a Garmin eTrex Legend Canadian Tracker Pack.

It was either $169.00 by itself or $199.99 including 4 disc set of "mapsource" and carrying case.

They map source cd set alone was $179.00 so I figured the pack was the better deal.

However..........I'm now thinking I did/do not need the mapsource cd's? I'm not sure exactly what that is all about but I only am going to be using it for local geo-caching and not trips or anything out of town.

Just says TOPO Canada Mapsource? Does anyone know what advantages I might have by d/ling this onto my GPS or if I really need it?

Well I did go and purchase a unit. I got a Garmin eTrex Legend Canadian Tracker Pack.

It was either $169.00 by itself or $199.99 including 4 disc set of "mapsource" and carrying case.

They map source cd set alone was $179.00 so I figured the pack was the better deal.

However..........I'm now thinking I did/do not need the mapsource cd's? I'm not sure exactly what that is all about but I only am going to be using it for local geo-caching and not trips or anything out of town.

Just says TOPO Canada Mapsource? Does anyone know what advantages I might have by d/ling this onto my GPS or if I really need it

Topo for $30 is a good deal. It's a more detailed set of maps for your unit. The base map has very limited detail, and the Topo maps fill in whats missing from the base maps. I have found them very handy for geocaching, but I do most of my caching in the woods.

Topo Canada is great for caching and when you eventually upgrade to colour (if you are truly hooked it's only a matter of time...) you will be able to load the Topo on any mapping GPS since Topo Canada doesn't require an unlock code. Topo Canada also does autorouting, so it's really handy for finding the best route to drive to the cache... although if you bought the B/W Legend you won't be able to use the autorouting on your GPS but you can use it in Mapsource and transfer the route to your GPS.

Let me jump in here and fray this thread slightly. I've been caching with a Garmin Geko 201 for a couple of years, and was recently given a Magellan Explorist 500. Wanting to learn about this new toy, I've been surfing for user reviews. There seem to be an awfully high number of people out there quite unhappy with this unit. I've also seen a lot of sniping within these forums and cache logs in the vein of Garmin vs. Magellan. What's your opinion, Dear Reader? Please help me separate the wheat from the e-chaff. Is it a substandard piece of equipment, or is it just that people who have bad experiences are more likely to write about them than those who have good experiences?

What about features? Does it do everything you want it to do in the world of Geocaching? I've only been fiddling with it for a few hours now, but I can't find the ability to project a waypoint, which is something I've had to do often while caching.

Finally, and on a more techincal note, my Explorist came with a Li-ion battery, but no charger. Are these things industry-standard, or do I need to order it direct from Magellan (and pay through the nose, I'm sure)?

Thanks to all for your time and opinions.

Wailing Moosehead

Amherstburg, ON

Edited by Wailing Moosehead

Topo Canada also does autorouting, so it's really handy for finding the best route to drive to the cache... although if you bought the B/W Legend you won't be able to use the autorouting on your GPS but you can use it in Mapsource and transfer the route to your GPS.

nRoute might work w/Topo Canada, but I don't think I've heard of anything trying it. Chime in, our Canadian laptop/autorouting brethren!

Let me jump in here and fray this thread slightly. I've been caching with a Garmin Geko 201 for a couple of years, and was recently given a Magellan Explorist 500. Wanting to learn about this new toy, I've been surfing for user reviews. There seem to be an awfully high number of people out there quite unhappy with this unit. I've also seen a lot of sniping within these forums and cache logs in the vein of Garmin vs. Magellan. What's your opinion, Dear Reader? Please help me separate the wheat from the e-chaff. Is it a substandard piece of equipment, or is it just that people who have bad experiences are more likely to write about them than those who have good experiences?

What about features? Does it do everything you want it to do in the world of Geocaching? I've only been fiddling with it for a few hours now, but I can't find the ability to project a waypoint, which is something I've had to do often while caching.

Finally, and on a more techincal note, my Explorist came with a Li-ion battery, but no charger. Are these things industry-standard, or do I need to order it direct from Magellan (and pay through the nose, I'm sure)?

Thanks to all for your time and opinions.

Wailing Moosehead

Amherstburg, ON

A few more fibers (fibres?) going 'tink' ;^)

I think the battery charges "in unit", from the USB cable.

Most of the owner issues revolve around the Magellan customer service leaving one feeling

"left out in the cold", so to speak, and the only 'official' lifeline is handled by someone whose

english is some what . . . 'limited'!

Edited by RRLover