Inconsistent find totals

The Rat

I just noticed that lately my total number of finds as it displays on my logs is one greater than my total number of finds shown when going to my profile page/ all finds (which includes the most recent find that has the inconsistent log). I don't know which number is right. The MyFinds gpx file shows the lower number, consistent with the profile listing. Does anyone know why I show as having one extra find every time I log? Or is MyFinds shorting me by one?

I think it's because of the one Locationless cache you've found. I have the same problem. They don't show up in the All Finds list.

I appreciate this suggestion, but I just checked and that one cache is included in the MyFinds file, so presumably is also in the All Finds query. Where does the total next to one's log come from? I can't imagine it would be computed in some different way, but obviously it is.

I think it's because of the one Locationless cache you've found. I have the same problem. They don't show up in the All Finds list.

I appreciate this suggestion, but I just checked and that one cache is included in the MyFinds file, so presumably is also in the All Finds query. Where does the total next to one's log come from? I can't imagine it would be computed in some different way, but obviously it is.

Perhaps I misunderstood. When I look at a recent cache you've done it shows 930 finds. On your Geocache Information page it shows 930 finds. But when I click on the (All Cache Finds) link, it shows "Total Records 929 - Page: 1 of 47". Is this what you're talking about? The record that's missing is the locationless.

Interesting. This is what I was talking about, and you're right that the locationless one is missing from the All Finds list if you page back chronologically to that date. But that still doesn't explain why the locationless cache find shows up in the total as shown on the logs and shows up on the profile page with the icons titled "Geocache Information for User: The Rat." It looks like a glitch in the system that should be fixed. Whether those locationless caches are counted as in or out can affect milestones and all sorts of other things. I almost lost credit for a cache that had as a logging requirement that the number of finds as shown on the All Finds page be a prime number. That page was showing an inaccurate number at first.

Interesting. This is what I was talking about, and you're right that the locationless one is missing from the All Finds list if you page back chronologically to that date. But that still doesn't explain why the locationless cache find shows up in the total as shown on the logs and shows up on the profile page with the icons titled "Geocache Information for User: The Rat." It looks like a glitch in the system that should be fixed. Whether those locationless caches are counted as in or out can affect milestones and all sorts of other things. I almost lost credit for a cache that had as a logging requirement that the number of finds as shown on the All Finds page be a prime number. That page was showing an inaccurate number at first.

I don't think this is a glitch but something that was done deliberately. Perhaps one of TPTB, will explain.

I have the same issue but I don't have ANY locationless finds. So.............. what is missing from my total?

I show 968 finds on my profile page. My ALL FINDS query also shows 968 finds. My records show 968 finds. When I click on the Show All Geocaches link it says I have 967 finds. Since I don't have any locationless finds to be filtered out what am I missing? The only cache types where I have just a single find are a webcam cache and a cito event cache. I checked and both of those are listed so what is the one that isn't showing?

I have the same issue but I don't have ANY locationless finds. So.............. what is missing from my total?

I show 968 finds on my profile page. My ALL FINDS query also shows 968 finds. My records show 968 finds. When I click on the Show All Geocaches link it says I have 967 finds. Since I don't have any locationless finds to be filtered out what am I missing? The only cache types where I have just a single find are a webcam cache and a cito event cache. I checked and both of those are listed so what is the one that isn't showing?

The one you are missing will be a revoked (de-published) cache.

See also this link

How does a cache become de-published? How does one go about discovering what cache it was?

I've only seen this happen once. I was trying for a FTF on a new cache but came up empty. I posted a DNF, emailed the owner and put it on my watchist. The next morning I had three emails from my watchlist. The owner moving the cache 150', the reviewer archiving it, and the reviewer retracting the listing, with a stern note to the hider. Apparently the hider moved the coords away from an existing cache to get it published and then tried to sneak them back afterwards. His scheme didn't work. Ironically the cache was supposed to be an "accuracy special".

I actually went back, found the cache and signed the log but I've never been able to log it online.

I'm not sure how you'd identify which one. You might try checking your All Finds PQ and manually look at the archived caches.