so my cache was stolen.

Bad_CRC

so my cache container is gone. first muggled cache for me.

log.jpg

it was tied with 800 pound test rope to a brick, so someone put a fair bit of effort into taking it.

my question is, there was a travel bug in the cache, which was obviously taken as well. What is the etiquette here? I'm thinking of contacting the owner of the travel bug and sending them a new unactivated tb, is that the normal thing to do? or is it just tough luck for the tb owner as well? what would you do?

Sorry to hear about your cache. Did you ask the TB owner to place the TB in your cache? If not, it's lost just like any other TB that gets muggled, lost or kept. I do understand what you are saying because I place a geocoin in a cache and it immediately disappeared. I felt awful and spoke with the owner and tried to help find it. It did, eventually, turn up again. I did not, however, feel obliged to pay for his loss. Giving a new TB is a very generous offer but I don't think it is necessary.

Contacting the TB owner would be the courteous thing to do (unfortunately, I've recently had to do this myself) but, in my opinion, paying for the lost TB tag would be going above and beyond the call of duty. All TB and geocoin owners know (or should know!) that there's an inherent risk of their trackable item going MIA when they release it into the wild and, while you as the cache owner might be experiencing a sense of guilt, it's not your fault that the cache was stolen. Having said that, you'd probably make a geocaching friend for life if you followed your instincts and sent them a new TB tag! :o

so my cache container is gone. first muggled cache for me.

it was tied with 800 pound test rope to a brick, so someone put a fair bit of effort into taking it.

my question is, there was a travel bug in the cache, which was obviously taken as well. What is the etiquette here? I'm thinking of contacting the owner of the travel bug and sending them a new unactivated tb, is that the normal thing to do? or is it just tough luck for the tb owner as well? what would you do?

Sorry to hear - what a GREAT cache that was!

I agree with the consensus - nice thought, not necessary.

A decoy duck cache! Dang, I was going to do that.

Me too! I've got a decoy sitting at home, but haven't found the right spot just yet. Some pond that is interesting, but has so little traffic that the decoy would be safe.

As far as the TB, I agree with everyone else. Let the owner know that the TB is missing and mark it as such. While I agree with sending a new TB being above and beyond, that is a wonderful idea to do so, assuming you have a spare TB lying around. Don't let us stop you from doing so if that is what you want to do.